Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

OPTANE Memory and HIPAA Compliance

DRose7
Beginner

I am an IT consultant with some clients that are in the Health Community.

We encrypt their drives using Bitlocker to fulfill the 'data in place' requirement of the HIPAA security rules.

I like the idea of OPTANE and would like to start including in in our 'standard configuration.'

What is the effect of use of OPTANE on HIPAA compliance ?

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi David,

After investigating on your concern, I can confirm you that the encryption used by Bitlocker is still applied once the drive has been paired with the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Having said this, you will still be able to encrypt the data on the drive as you are currently doing. There is, however, a recommended way to enable the encryption so that the data is properly encrypted. This process is explained in the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00114.html

I hope you find this information useful

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Please let me investigate about your concern. I'll post any updates here as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi David,

After investigating on your concern, I can confirm you that the encryption used by Bitlocker is still applied once the drive has been paired with the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Having said this, you will still be able to encrypt the data on the drive as you are currently doing. There is, however, a recommended way to enable the encryption so that the data is properly encrypted. This process is explained in the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00114.html

I hope you find this information useful

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos