13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2018 6:07 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem

sbaroi

I have INTEL NUC with  5th GEN Processor and 16GB RAM.

Storage WD 256GB M.2

After 3-4 hours use, when I shutdown my NUC or have a power failure, it doesn't come back after pressing the power key.

I have to unplug all the cables and tried to power it on -  nothing happened.

I unplugged the power cord and connect it again - nothing happened.

After 2-3 minutes Unplugging and plugging the power cord, it came back.

What could be the issue ? Please help.

I'm using the updated 2018 BIOS for the NUC.

SIMON

Dhaka, Bangladesh.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
          Al Hill

There have been 4 bios updates for your nuc in 2018.  Are you using this one (0068):

Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A]

Doc

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
            sbaroi

bios_version.jpg

I'm Using this one. Probably 65.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
              Al Hill

Download and install the latest (0068) from the link I provided.

Also, after you install 0068, reset using F9 to establish defaults and correct as necessary.

Doc

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                sbaroi

I have updated to 68 and did the factory reset. But no luck, it's behaving the same.

Any other steps I need to follow? Please advice.

Simon

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                  Al Hill

One of the Intel support engineers will be able to assist you.

Doc

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                    lw1948

Hi Simon,

I'm not Intel Support engineer, however I want to help you. Before I'll give you advice, please answer the following questions:

1. You wrote: After 3-4 hours use, when I shutdown my NUC or have a power failure, it doesn't come back after pressing the power key.

It is a new NUC from sealed box or it is pre-owned NUC and it was in service for some time?

2. When the NUC fails to boot is the blue LED in front panel illuminated?

3. Can you try another Power Adapter (from laptop for example)?

Leon

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                      N.Scott.Pearson

One additional question: If you do this with bottom cover removed and NUC sitting upsidedown, is the green LED on the board staying lit?

...S

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                        sbaroi

Hi Leon,

These are my answers :

1. You wrote: After 3-4 hours use, when I shutdown my NUC or have a power failure, it doesn't come back after pressing the power key.

It is a new NUC from sealed box or it is pre-owned NUC and it was in service for some time?

==> Its a one year old NUC. Last year I bought it from New York. It never happened earlier. But recent days its happening too much.

2. When the NUC fails to boot is the blue LED in front panel illuminated?

==> Nope. No LED illuminate. Its just act like a freeze box.

3. Can you try another Power Adapter (from laptop for example)?

==> What minimum amp and voltage requirement ?

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                          sbaroi

Hi Scott,

I never tried this. I just got back the NUC powered ON and seeing you text.

Next time I'll do that.

Any specific location of the LED ?

SIMON.

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                            lw1948

Hi Simon,

1. The requirement for the Power Supply are: 12-19VDC (+/- 10%), 10A maximum. However in max CPU power without external load, the 2A will be enough, since the max. power consumption is 30W.

2. I had experience with similar failure in my 2.5 year old NUC6i5SYH. Although the Power Button was mechanically working (I could feel click when depressing or releasing the Power Button), the NUC was not starting and the LED in front panel was not illuminated. When I've depressed the button much harder, the NUC started. I've concluded that the Power Switch contacts where contaminated. To fix this problem, I've removed the board from NUC and have sprayed contact cleaning solvent (Servisol), on the Power Switch. The Power Switch is mounted on board upper side, that why the board have to be removed.  However, removing board is quite complicated. You must know how to do this. If you are not careful, you may broke the connectors of WiFi antennas.  Any way if you will come to the conclusion, that you have hardware failure, since your NUC is one year old, it is covered by 3 years of Intel International Warranty. Check your Warrant Coverage here: Warranty Information  and Warranty Information for Intel® NUC Products

Leon

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                              N.Scott.Pearson

The LED is actually on the opposite surface of the board. but right near the edge, so you will see the glow along this edge:

This LED indicates that the NUC is receiving standby power. It should light up when you plug in the power supply and it should remain lit. If it should go out, it indicates that the power supply is failing. Note that it is possible for the power supply to fail but this LED remain lit, so it isn't a perfect indicator - but it helps...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                                sbaroi

Hi Scott,

From yesterday, my NUC is fully dead.  No light glows as per the picture, when I connect the power plug.

I have open a support ticket. But didn't get any mail from INTEL.

There is a Support Center Number for Bangladesh in the INTEL Website. But the telephone number is not right.

Feeling so much disappointed.

Where to knock and where I'll get a support.

My Warranty Coverage is upto May 20, 2010.

SIMON.

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Boot Problem
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

Of course you didn't get a call. It's the weekend! Show some patience.

I hope "2010" was a typo...

...S