Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Extreme Tuning Utility

BNiko1
Beginner

Hello

I've recently bought new Laptop with Intel Core i5-8250U (1.60 - 3.40 GHz, 6 MB cache). My question is, can I use Extreme Tuning Utility for turning off Turbo boost while my laptop is on battery? Intel Core i5-8250U is not in the list in Extreme Tuning Utility. If I can't, what else can I use?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello bobbyvp,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are trying to turn off the Intel ® Turbo Boost while your laptop is on battery.

I would like to begin by explaining that Intel ® Turbo Boost 2.0 is a technology that increases the frequency of the processor automatically, depending on the need and the task that is running.

To answer your question, no, it cannot be managed or changed in the Intel ® Extreme Tuning Utility, it can only be disabled or enabled in the BIOS; however, it depends on how the BIOS has been setup by the motherboard manufacturer. In order to find the option to disable or enable, you can check in the BIOS, if accessible, or for guidance it is recommended to contact the motherboard/system manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello bobbyvp,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are trying to turn off the Intel ® Turbo Boost while your laptop is on battery.

I would like to begin by explaining that Intel ® Turbo Boost 2.0 is a technology that increases the frequency of the processor automatically, depending on the need and the task that is running.

To answer your question, no, it cannot be managed or changed in the Intel ® Extreme Tuning Utility, it can only be disabled or enabled in the BIOS; however, it depends on how the BIOS has been setup by the motherboard manufacturer. In order to find the option to disable or enable, you can check in the BIOS, if accessible, or for guidance it is recommended to contact the motherboard/system manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation