2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2010 12:35 AM by mrgeeky

installing RAID 1 after windows was installed with legacy controller/drivers

mrgeeky

Hi, I want to install raid 1 on  a system thats already up and running.. (XP Pro) Can some one point me to the best work around for this. There are several work arounds, but I was just hoping some one could point me at what they believe is the simplest method.

Motherboard is a DQ45CB

TIA for your advice.

• 1. Re: installing RAID 1 after windows was installed with legacy controller/drivers
          sergios_intel

Hello;

Setting up a RAID  1 or any RAID type on a system that already has the operating system installed is not possible.

What you need to do is to back up your information, set up the RAID and  then install the operating system.  In order to enable the RAID please follow these steps:

1. Press the <F2> key after the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) memory test begins.

2. Select the Advanced menu, then the Drive Configuration menu.

3. Switch the Drive Mode option from Legacy to Enhanced.

4. Enable Intel(R) RAID Technology.

5. Press the <F10> key to save the BIOS settings and exit the BIOS Setup program.

Once you enable the RAID on the BIOS you need to access the Ctrl + I menu in order to setup the raid

To enter the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager option ROM user interface, press the

<Ctrl> and <i> keys simultaneously when prompted during the Power-On Self Test

Once you enable the RAID in the BIOS, install the operating system .

For more information check the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology manual here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm

• 2. Re: installing RAID 1 after windows was installed with legacy controller/drivers
            mrgeeky

I hate to sound rude but please read my post. Where have I asked how to install raid?

Why not just give me a recipe on making bread.. It would be about as useful.. lol

And you are actually posting misinformation on the message board! Not a good look. Can I suggest you do your homework? If you google, you will find there are many cases of people posting guides how to install raid after windows was installed. It has been done many times.  I was just looking for some one to point out the simplest method with out me having to do the reasearch.

Your not helping these forums by posting misiformation. I do appreciate that you were trying to be helpful though, so cheers for that.