2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 2:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Using NUC8i5BEK CEC over USB-C

ytn3rd

Hey,

I just got my NUC8i5BEK and set it up. I have a fresh install of Windows 10 and when I was setting it up with my TV I was getting some odd horizontal lines while trying have 4K@60 output. I don't believe it happens at 4K@30. When turning the NUC on/off it turns my TV on/off as expected. Reading online about these horizontal lines I found that people recommend using a USB-C adapter HDMI adapter for better 4K output. Something about USB-C can output DP1.2 and the adapters may output better than HDMI2.0a which is what the onboard HDMI port is. As it turns out, this works great! Except for the part where CEC no longer works.

Does anyone know if CEC functions over the USB-C port? Could it be an issue with my adapter? This is the adapter I have. I can't see any information in any of their specs about CEC functionality.

EDIT: I just tried a different HDMI cable in the HDMI port and that works fine. I think I just have a broken cable. Both are marked as "HDMI with ethernet", so as far as I know they should both be compatible. I'll try again with another long HDMI cable.

• 1. Re: Using NUC8i5BEK CEC over USB-C
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ytn3rd,
           Thank you for posting in our Intel ® Community.
          In this case, Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI*designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI. In our Intel ®NUCs, the board contains two mutually-exclusive methods for controlling HDMI CEC devices:
          -External CEC adaptor connected via CEC connector.
          -Onboard CEC control from the embedded controller via HDMI cable and BIOS setup.
          We do not guarantee the control of the function over USB-C* port or DP* as these ones are not connected with the CEC controller on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEK.
          For more information you can visit the Intel® NUC8i5BEK Technical Product Specification, page 40, section 2.2.4.9.

In this case we strongly suggest you to test different HDMI* cables as the first one that you tried might be broken, please let us know the outcome.
          Please let me know if you have any other question or concern.
          I hope to hear from you soon.
          Regards,
          Diego Sanchez Campos.
          Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

• 2. Re: Using NUC8i5BEK CEC over USB-C
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ytn3rd,
            Thank you for your patience.
            We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.
            Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.
            Regards,
            Diego S.
            Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation