Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Dedicaded GPU not working

Udunn
Beginner

So ok... it sounds like this is in the wrong category, but it's not. I mailed Asus, asked the Microsoft community, and they all brought me here because it's an issue with my cpu. So what is the problem? My dedicated gpu is not working (only with Windows 10). Some programs give errors, some don't display proberly, some don't display at all. With the integrated gpu it works fine, but it's performance isn't the best. Minecraft gets a black screen, asus atk package is a blue window with 3 black buttons, gta 5 get's errors, paint.net doesn't start at all. What can be wrong? Is it really the cpu? Is it some kind of driver issue? I really need Windows 10, because my gamepad is incompatible with 8.1 & 7.

Intel Core I5-2430MIntel HD Graphics 3000 (working fine) & GeForce GT520MX (broken)

8gb ddr3 RAM

750gb hdd (5400rpm)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Asus K53SC

Latest bios (221)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, but your cpu and graphics are not supported on Windows 10.

This is your [Sandy Bridge] processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/53450/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3-00-GHz- Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz) Product Specifications

There is no support for Windows 10:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

And, there is no graphics support for HD 3000 graphics

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

The best you can do is to use the generic Microsoft graphics driver..

Regarding your geforce not working, contact your laptop manufacturer or get the latest driver from nvidia.

Really, the best thing to do is to get new(er) hardware that is supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
Udunn
Beginner

But then, why does Windows 10 automatically install the driver for the HD 3000 when it's not compatible? And a lot of people with the same cpu run Windows 10 without problems... so I'm not really sure if that's the case. Also, I forgot to say that the Windows 10 1703 update broke it (before that it was fine), running 1809 rn and still not patched.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 (a microsoft product) is installing a microsoft generic driver.

Your processor and graphics are not supported here.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let's go through this thoroughly...

In desktop designs, if an add-in graphics card is present, the processor's internal graphics engine will normally be disabled completely. Very few scenarios exist where both are supported simultaneously. A third-party driver package is necessary to support the two engines being used simultaneously (because of third-party patents - and you will pay to use these drivers). In laptop designs, on the other hand, there are situations (for example, support for content protection) wherein both graphics engines (or at least their drivers) are needed. A hybrid driver architecture is necessary that allows only one of the two engines to be active at any point in time and which can switch between the two when necessary. In order for this switching to occur, modifications need to be made to the drivers to support it occurring. Intel does not provide these modifications (nor does NVIDIA or AMD); they are implemented by the laptop manufacturer and it is the laptop manufacturer who is responsible for their support, not Intel. This is also the reason why support folks here in the Intel Communities regularly tell folks to get their graphics drivers from the laptop manufacturer, not from Intel, whose generic drivers do not include these modifications. Bottom line, if this is an Asus laptop, then you need to be getting your support from Asus; they are responsible for the modified drivers, not Intel.

When Intel sells a processor, they provide a warranty to the entity that is purchasing this processor. If this entity is a manufacturer who then turns around and sells you a system (a laptop) that contains this processor, it is this manufacturer who provides you with the warranty for this system. If this system fails during the warranty period, you make your warranty claim to this manufacturer. Behind the scenes, if it turns out that it is the Intel processor that has failed, the manufacturer will likely make the warranty claim back to Intel, but you are not involved in this process in any way. Bottom line, you cannot make any warranty claims to Intel; you simply do not have any warranties from Intel; you have a warranty from the manufacturer and only from the manufacturer. I would point out that this exact same situation exists with AMD processors and with the additional graphics engines from NVIDIA and AMD; you have a warranty from the laptop manufacturer and no one else. If you have a problem, you need to be talking to that manufacturer, not Intel (and not AMD or NVIDIA either). Bottom line, you need to be talking to Asus; they are the manufacturer and they are responsible for the operation of their product. If they try to punt the issue to Intel (which they regularly do in order to avoid the customer support costs), tell them no; tell them that they are responsible. If they truly believe that the Intel processor is responsible, it is their job to report this issue to Intel, not your's. Don't let them play monkey in the middle with you as the monkey.

Ok, so far, I have carefully avoided the issues that Al has raised. The fact is, however, that your system is so old that you no longer have a warranty of any kind. Worse, the manufacturer likely never officially warrantied operation of the laptop with Windows 10 (which simply did not exist when the laptop was released) anyway. If you have put Windows 10 on this laptop yourself, then you are responsible for its operation. The fact is, Intel does not support Windows 10 being used on processors this old. The drivers that are currently supporting Windows 10 operation on this laptop are compatibility drivers provided by Microsoft. The strange thing is, while they want you to be running Windows 10, Microsoft does not officially support Windows 10 being run on laptops that are this old either. If the compatibility drivers work, great. If they don't, you are really on your own. Worse, because this is a laptop, you need drivers that have the necessary modifications for switching between the graphics engines (etc.) -- but these compatibility drivers are likely not going to have these modifications and thus you are pretty much assured of having problems somewhere -- and Microsoft will not help you. No, instead, they will blame Intel and punt you over here. What a crock. Again, don't let them play monkey in the middle with you as the monkey.

Summarizing, these messages cannot be avoided:

1. What warranties you had came from Asus, your laptop manufacturer, and they are solely responsible for the support of this system. Do not let them punt you aside; we cannot help you here.
  2. The situation is likely moot; your system is old enough that (a) the manufacturer's warranties have likely expired by now anyway and (b) the manufacturer likely never supported Windows 10 being used on it anyway.
  3. Intel and Microsoft are not supporting Windows 10 on systems this old. You simply shouldn't be running Windows 10 on this system. If you want to run Windows 10, you need a newer system.

Sorry, this is reality...

...S

0 Kudos
Udunn
Beginner

Thanks for the detailed answer. I replied to asus and they gave me the same info, that only windows 7 & 8.1 would work with this laptop. I installed 8.1 and it seems to work fine now.

0 Kudos