4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 3:59 PM by rglaue

Why is 8 the max client support in wireless AP mode

rglaue

Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Wireless Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006057/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

According to the FAQ question "How many clients are supported when using an Intel® Wireless Adapter for a hosted network?", "The Intel® Wireless Adapter can support a maximum of eight clients on a hosted network."

I have a Linux educational project I want to run on a NUC8 box as a content server and wireless router/access point. It needs to support multiple dozens of wireless clients.

The Intel NUC models NUC8i5BEK and NUC8i5BEH comes with a soldered-down Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 + Bluetooth 5.0 M.2 card.

Is it limited to 8 clients as the FAQ says generally about Intel Wireless Adapters?

I have this project currently running on older NUC5 hardware on Linux with an M.2 Atheros wireless card used in AP mode (access point), and it works fine supporting multiple dozens of connecting wireless clients. But when considering an upgrade to the NUC8, and reading the above FAQ, it says Intel supports a max of 8 clients.

Is the max 8 clients a hard limit? Can I change this to support multiple dozens of client connections like the Atheros card?