5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 6:52 AM by Intel Corporation

Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)

Alecc

Good Morning!

I tried to conect this external HDD:

Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Enclosure External HDD Enclosure for 2.5/3.5 Inch SATA HDDs and SSDs, Support UASP an…

With this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/RAMPOW-Braided-Certified-Charging-Compatible/dp/B01N4OKUB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539647122&sr=8…

But the nuc doesn't recognize it, although they say the cable work for data transfer.

Could you recommend me a working usb-c to usb-a cable to connect the device?

Regards!

• 1. Re: Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : We will assist you with this scenario.

In this case what we recommend is to use the cable that came with the hard drive enclosure, since that cable was tested by the manufacturer of that device as the proper cable for the unit.
          Just to let you know, there is no need to use a USB-A to USB-C converter since the hard drive woks with SATA and it will not be faster even when using that type of cable.

Additionally on the following link, you will find a list of tested peripherals for the Intel® NUC7I3BNK that includes cables and adapters, in the case you are still interested in purchasing one of them. However, since the hard drive is a third party product, we cannot guarantee that it will be recognized by the NUC:
          http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC

Regards,
          Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician    
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)
            Alecc

I know Alberto, I simply want to use usb-c cable to liberate one of the other usb port.

It should be easy to find one right?

Regards!

• 3. Re: Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)
              Intel Corporation

: Yes, we recommend to purchase the cable that is showing in the link for the tested peripherals:

Still, even though you get that cable, we cannot guarantee that the enclosure will work with the NUC, it is a third party product and there might be compatibility issues with the Intel unit.

Regards,
              Alberto R.

• 4. Re: Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)
                Alecc

There is only one cable USB-A to USB-C 3.1 in the tested perpheral.. and only available in Canada or US!

I wonder why it's so tricky to find a cable.. in the usb standard almost every cable is compatible. Why do this problems happen with the usb-c standard?

Regards!

• 5. Re: Issues with usb-c (NUC7I3BNK)
                  Intel Corporation

You can always purchase any standard USB-A to USB-C cable, even if it is not showing on the list of tested peripherals, but still, we recommend to use the cable that came with the enclosure.
                  This is a third party product and the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of it to verify if they can suggest which type of cable to use with it.
                  From our end there is no guarantee that the enclosure will be recognized or that it will properly work with the NUC.

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
                  Alberto R.

1 of 1 people found this helpful