Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

I'm stumped, what is wrong?

idata
Employee

First off:

Intel Core i7 965

Intel X58SO Motherboard

Nvidia GTX280

6GB DDR3 Tripple Channel Ram

Windows Vista 64Bit

(If im forgeting anything let me know)

Ok so recently my computer has been having a major issue. My computer works fine untill I play a game (not just start it, like fully enter gameplay) my screen turns into the following:

Shortly after the computer competely locks up with looping sound, I have to shut down manually, it does NOT bluescreen. When it first started I found out I could run a FULL 3D Mark Vantage test with no problems what-so-ever. I can easily fix this by forcing a shutdown and pulling out the video card and reinserting it into the slot, booting up and everything works, I can play games etc...etc... another Odd bit is the fact that if Windows updates the night before I do NOT have to pull and reinsert the card to fix it.

I contacted BFGTech the manufacture of my video card and they said its my Motherboard having problems allocating power that its just my motherboard slot and the card is fine. Honestly I hope not. What do you guys think?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Theoretically possuble, but i would say unlikely. The only way you are going to know for sure what is causing the issue is by cross testing compoennts. Put another GPU does it do teh same thing? Can you try your GPU in someone else computer?

Also what PSU do you have? I would also test the memory and operating system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Its a 700 watt PSU, knew I forgot something.

I also checked my ram it seems fine, personally I don't think it couldnt be that considering if I pull the card it gets fixed, I don't even touch the ram.

My dad's PC recently had a problem itself (different/unrelated) but Ill see if he gets it back soon, ill test the card in that see how it goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A 700 watt what? Make/model

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Whoops... I made a mistake its actually

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

(Literally the name of it from Newegg)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried running in windowed mode to see if Windows produces an error? Most crashes are actually recorded, but sometimes you don't see the error because of conflicts with the renderer and Windows Aero configurations. Try running with the game in windowed mode. Another thing, have you looked at your Event Viewer to see if an application/software/hardware error has been posted there?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So last night it was getting a bit stormy here, so I decided to fully unplug the machine, Unplugged the PSU and then the surge protector, today I didn't have any issues when I powered it up. So I cannot test the windowed mode idea but I'll keep it plugged in tonight and try tommrow (Unless it decided to temporarily fix itself again), and honestly I don't know a whole lot about the event viewer, but looking at the process names and stuff... I don't see anything realted to nvida drivers.

0 Kudos