1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 12:40 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809

hobbsn

Last night I installed the latest Cumulative Update KB4464330 for Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1809 to update it.  Following the installation and the reboot, I have been left with no sound - as the device driver for the Intel High Definition Audio device has been removed, as per the following screenshot;

Capture.PNG

Prior to the install of this CU, the laptop was working properly and I had sound.  Prior to the upgrade of Windows 10 Version 1809, I installed the following Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10

This installed version 25.20.100.6323 of the driver set, which included a new Audio driver - the install worked fine and Windows 10 Version 1809 installed perfectly.

I then installed the CU KB4464330 and it resulted in no sound and the above screenshot.

I have been going through the Intel Device Driver site and I have found a later version of the Graphics Driver, which is version 25.20.100.6326. released on the 9th of October and available here;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

Does this package also install a newer Audio driver?  If so, will this resolve the above audio driver issue?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

• 1. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello hobbsn,

Thank you for joining our Intel ® Community.
          I understand that you need are experiencing driver issues with the latest Update KB4464330 for Microsoft Windows* 10 Version (1809)
          As shared here, Windows® 10 October 2018 Update may be paused due to various issues, one of them seen with Intel® Display Audio Driver versions 10.25.0.3 through 10.25.0.8.
          In order to answer your question, a fix for these issues is already included in Intel® Display Audio Driver version 10.25.0.10, which is bundled with Intel® Graphics Driver version 25.20.100.6326.
          We recommend you to perform a clean driver installation, we will need you to uninstall the current graphic drivers that your system has, until the basic Microsoft*display driver is exposed (please make sure that you will do it with no internet access)
          After that, for troubleshooting purposes please install the latest Intel ® Graphic generic Drivers.
          In order to do it, please go ahead and perform this update steps:
          Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

Open Device Manager:
          For Windows 10: Right-click Windows Start icon
          Click yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
          Expand the Display adapters section.
          Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
          Click Browse my computer for driver software.
          Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
          Click Have Disk.
          Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
          Click OK, and finally click Next.
          Drivers are now being installed.
          Restart your computer.

For more information please visit Action Needed Before Updating to Windows® 10 October 2018 Update
          The Microsoft* is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel (r) of the content, products, or services offered there. 
          I hope this helps, please let me know the outcome.
          Regards,
          Diego Sanchez Campos.
          Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

• 2. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
            hobbsn

Hi Diego,

I would like to say thank you for coming back on this.

I'm not having an issue with the Intel Display Audio Driver as that is installed and visible within Device Manager.  It is the Intel High Definition Audio driver that was deleted by the Microsoft Windows Cumulative Update.

I have just installed the latest Windows Display driver pack, but it didn't resolve anything.  Therefore I am downloading the ZIP file version of that driver and going to proceed with your suggested actions.

I will update you once I have done these.

Kind regards,

Neil

• 3. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
              hobbsn

Hi Diego,

I have just gone through the steps that you outline, while disconnected from the local network.  I also made sure that I deleted any local cache of the drivers.

I used Device Manager to uninstall the following two drivers;

• Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (25.20.100.6323) and
              • Intel(R) Display Audio (10.26.0.1)

I then rebooted the laptop and Windows re-installed both.  So I uninstalled both again, again selecting to uninstall any cache.

At this point, I got to the Base Microsoft Video driver.  Then I went to install a VGA driver and I pointed Windows to the folder structure - it installed the correct driver and my display came back to normal.  I then have two 'Intel Audio' devices.  One of them reinstalled the 'Intel(R) Display Audio' driver and the second failed with the following message;

Intel HIgh Definition Audio.JPG

As you'll now see, I have an Intel component on my HP laptop that doesn't have a device driver installed which is called 'Intel High Definition Audio' and I don't have any sound.

My Device Manager looks like the following at the moment;

DeviceManager.JPG

I am unable to find a device driver from Intel, HP or Microsoft for the 'Intel High Definition Audio' item and I have no Output Device and no sound.  Can you advise?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

• 4. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                rajvirsngh80

Hey guys i have a HP Omen and after last nights update I'm having this same problem, what can i do, should i go to a repair shop or wait on this post to get my audio back. Thanks!!!

• 5. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                  Brianish

hobbsn's experience tracks 100% with my own. I've tried installing the driver both from the .zip and .exe files. I even tried the previous version that is recommended in the "Before October 2018" post.

• 6. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                    angie823

Same problem as described on this thread.  I am waiting for a call back from microsoft support. 

• 7. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                      angie823

Got a call back from Microsoft.  Got a case number.  After being put on hold for 1 hour, I hung up.  Went back online and requested another call back.  Got the call back and gave the case #.  Put on hold again for another hour. I give up for tonight.  I think I will do without the sound for a few days until microsoft fixes this issue.

• 8. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                        hobbsn

I have just had Windows Update run on the laptop (I am using the Home edition) and it started to download the following Intel device driver;

Intel Corporation - Display - 4/25/2018 12:00:00 AM - 24.20.100.6025

Therefore it has rolled me back to the version of the Intel Display Audio device driver 10.25.0.5, which they pointed out would cause issues with the initial release of Windows 10 Version 1809.  This version is a complete shambles.

Following this forced device driver installed, I still don't have a device driver for the Intel High Definition Audio device.  Is there a device driver for this device?

I will now have up to reboot this laptop when next on power, uninstall this older version which has just been installed and then install the new Intel provided driver pack again.

Intel - Where can I find a driver pack that will install a stable version of the Graphics, Display Audio and the High Definition Audio devices that won't be rolled back by Microsoft?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

• 9. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                          hobbsn

Hi Diego,

It seems that this is becoming a wide spread issue with Windows 10 Version 1809.  Windows Update is rolling back the Intel provided drivers to unsuitable versions.

As of this morning, I still don't have a device driver for the Intel High Definition Audio device and I don't have any sound.

Can you advise on what the next course of action is?  When will Intel have a new set of device drivers?  Is this being discussed with Microsoft?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

• 10. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                            hobbsn

Hi Diego,

I wanted to let you know that I have now completely removed the old driver set that Microsoft installed earlier via Windows Update.  I went back to the Basic Microsoft Display Driver again.

Following this, I then installed the 25.20.100.6326 version manually; Windows Update and the 'System' Event Log said that I was installing version 24.20.100.6025.  But the install did install the 25.20.100.6326 version.  I then rebooted the laptop and the laptop came back up properly and Device Manager is reporting the 25.20.100.6326 version and the latest version of the Display Audio driver.

I have also hopefully blocked the other version of the driver coming from Windows Update.

As of now, I still have no Intel High Definition Audio driver installed, 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed' on the sound icon in the System Tray and also in Settings.  There is no driver for in within the Graphics Driver package - so it isn't available.  Therefore I have no sound whatsoever.

I can see that others are reporting this across this forum.  So this is becoming a wide spread issue.

Can you advise me on what the resolution is for this?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

• 11. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                              Tripix

I have the same problem with Omen..why microsoft always make windows worse and worse with another update..

• 12. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                                Chelini

I have an HP Omen too, same issue . Its not very fun to have a gaming computer with no sound... Eagerly awaiting a sloution to this issue!

• 13. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                                  angie823

I just didn't have it in me to leave my HP laptop audio issue unsolved.  I finally got a Microsoft tech to remotely fix the issue.  For those who were told you need to uninstall the graphics driver, this was NOT done.  Prior to the remote fix,  I uninstalled the latest Microsoft security update. The tech remotely deleted the "Intel High Definition Audio" via the Device Manager.  He then uninstalled audio display that is in "sounds,video and game controllers."  He went to my computer's website (HP) and downloaded Realtek High Definition Audio SST and Intel(R) Display Audio.  These are now what show in my Device manager.  Because I was concerned that the Microsoft Update would be automatically installed again and cause the same problem, he manually downloaded a stand alone update.  All issues were resolved and there was no charge for the service.  Needless to say, it was a total of 12 hours that I spent dealing with this problem.  This is not the first time, as I am sure members here know, that Microsoft has released updates that cause havoc and many hours to resolve the issues caused.

• 14. Re: Intel High Definition Audio Device Driver Deleted After Installing CU KB4464330 on Windows 1809
                                    Appex213

This worked for me:

Windows Update> update history> uninstall updates> Uninstall the update KB4464330.

Download and install Realtek audio driver from manufacturer site (Dell, HP etc.), general driver from realtek might work as well, haven't tried.

After the restart I had audio again and the intel high definition audio device in Device Manager was gone.

1 2 Previous Next