Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

WKais
Beginner

I've got a new laptop (ACER Aspire 3 A315-51-3388) with i3 8th Generation and 16 GB Optane memory.

The speed is really amazing, BUT

for the second time now I am experiencing the same problem as described here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/the-operating-system-did-not-shutdown-cleanly/a9cb4bc6-ffcc-4102-87e9-37c4d1e88468

The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache - Microsoft Community

The system is not booting any more!

W!th some trial an error (including restoration of a system checkpoint from the repair console) it has come back to live.

I understand, that the problem seems to be an inconsistancy of the Optane and HDD data, which should be automatically reconstructed.

The automatic reconstruction, however, does not seem to work, so the systems is stopped.

How can this state be created?

What can be done to avoid it?

What can be done to properly synchronize Optane memory and HDD data?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi AvengerDE,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

As you are using a laptop with an Intel® Optane™ Memory, I recommend you to contact ACER* directly about this issue. The Intel® Optane™ Memory should come enabled on laptops, so they should provide assistance on this issue, especially if you have recently bought the laptop.

I haven't seen this issue with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, however a Desktop system is not the same as a laptop system, so it may be possible that this issue was caused by something else besides the Intel® Optane™ Memory. Laptops usually come with additional features added by the manufacturer so before making any changes in the system, it's always better to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RHout
Novice

I have this same problem except I don't have a ACER this problem is happening on the Intel NUC7i5BNH with 16GB Intel Optane. The system then just keeps looping like it's attempting to repair but never does. I can't boot to Windows boot media to attempt a repair as mentioned above.

Please help we have purchased many of these and I don't want to keep seeing this.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @RHout​ ,

Please attach a image of your Disk Management from the unit where the problems happens.

Leon

0 Kudos
RHout
Novice

Hi Leon

Thankfully just before I received your request I was able to get booted into Windows to take this image.

The only way I could get past the boot problem was to use the Intel Rapid Storage Tech Configure option under Devices Add-In Config in the BIOS.

Once in IRST Config I decontaminated the NVMe drive which looks like it removed it from the RAID and then I could boot to Windows recovery where I was about to repair the boot.

Now the NVMe is showing as a un-initialized drive and that's fine since I was able to boot back into Windows.

If I see this problem again I will take better notes on solving the problem.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Ryan,

1. First I want to suggest that you should erase your personal data from your post (click on arrow and then on edit in right upper corner). This is not the best place to leave your phone and email.
  2. I asked you to attach the image of Disk Management to see if you have leaved 5-15 MB of unallocated space in the en of the drive boeing accelerated. If you don't, please do this, because missing of such unallocated , may be cause for such failure.

Leon

0 Kudos
RHout
Novice

Hi Leon

Thanks for the heads up on my signature being added to my email reply/last post. That was done by our mail server and I had no idea that would be added to my reply and posted on the forum.

Also thanks for the Disk Management tip I had attached a picture to my email reply but it doesn't look like they included that.

I'll take a look at that and make sure any other system we have using the IRST has the unallocated space.

Thanks again for your assistance.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. In order to attach an image to your post, you should use the fifth icon from left or you can use the "paper clip" in the left bottom corner.
  2. The IRST is not preparing a unallocated space in the end of the drive boeing accelerated. You should do this manually by shrinking the last partition. Optane memory needs this space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module.
  3. You will find here the Installation Guide for Optane https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf . Please read on page 7.

Leon

0 Kudos