8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 2:25 PM by Intel Corporation

    INTEL WIRELESS-AC 9560 not working with channel 36 and 80MHz width

    slyh

      Hello,

       

      I have observed a weird behavior when I'm connecting my device to an access point that is using channel 36 and 80MHz channel width.

       

      Symptom

      Client reporting 866Mbps data rate, but the access point tells me the client is running at 13Mbps.

      Low throughput and the connection hangs intermittently:

      C:\Users\slyh>ping 1.1.1.1 -t

       

       

      Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      General failure.

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      General failure.

      General failure.

      General failure.

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      General failure.

      General failure.

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      General failure.

      General failure.

      General failure.

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57

      Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

       

       

      Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:

          Packets: Sent = 28, Received = 19, Lost = 9 (32% loss),

      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

          Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 13ms

       

      Observation

      The client works fine when it's connecting to networks which are using any channels other than ch. 36-48.

      It will also work if I force the router to use 20MHz/40MHz channel width (even if it's using ch. 36) or set the option "Channel Width for 5GHz" to 20MHz on the client side.

       

      The system is running Windows 10 1803, I have tried driver version 20.40, 20.50, 20.80 and the problem insisted. I have also tried to connect to access points from different brands (including Ubiquiti, EnGenius and Aruba). I would like to avoid any hardware fix as the chip is soldered on the motherboard and it will be a mess if I have to get the board repaired or exchanged.