5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 12:10 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Optane On Secondary HDD

TheSquigglyLine

Gigabyte Z30 Aorus Gaming 5

I7 -8086

16 GB DDR4 3000 Memory

Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512 NVMe PCIe SSD (Primary Drive, Windows Installed)

2TB Seagate BarraCude (Secondary Drive, Drive I would like to accelerate with Optane)

32GB Intel Optane MEMPEK1W032GAXT

As the Title Says I am trying to accelerate my secondary HDD with my intel optane drive. I have Windows installed on my primary PCIe SSD but would like to accelerate the HDD. I know I cannot accelerate the PCIe drive and have no desire to.

In my BIOS I have CSM Support Dissabled. I have Use RST Legacy OROM disabled. I have Aggressive LPM Support Disabled. I have PCIe Storage Dev on Port 21 set to RST Controlled (this is the correct port for the M.2 slot the Optane is installed to, M2P_32G)

When I run SetupOptane.Memory.exe I get the error "intel optane memory does not support system installed on PCIe disk"

I have also fresh installed windows and when I did i used diskpart to format my HDD as a GST drive. I then used disk manager in windows to create a partition on the drive so it would show up as a volume in windows. To clarify again windows is installed on my PCIe SSD but i have a clean blank GST formatted HDD that i want to boost with optane and for the life of me can not figure out what i'm doing wrong.

• 1. Re: Intel Optane On Secondary HDD
          TheSquigglyLine

UPDATE: I was able to get the intel optane to accelerate my Secondary HDD using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. HOWEVER, to me this is not a solution because I still cannot get the drives to link using the official supported and primary software enableOptaneMemory.exe.

I am curious if I uninstall IRST without de-linking my optane and HDD and then use the enableOptaneMemory.exe if the link will then be recognized but I am not willing to test and find out because I do not want to break what have got working. If someone can confirm this is indeed the route I should take I will proceed.

• 2. Re: Intel Optane On Secondary HDD
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello TheSquigglyLine,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly you were able to accelerate your secondary HDD using the RST software.

Let me provide you with the following information included in the What Software Enables Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory? article based on this information we can conclude that you can use one software or the other depending on your configuration.

Since you were able to accelerate your system using the RST software we recommend you to keep your current configuration.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
            Intel Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 3. Re: Intel Optane On Secondary HDD
              Intel Corporation

Hello TheSquigglyLine,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.   

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.
              Intel® Customer Support Technician

• 4. Re: Intel Optane On Secondary HDD
                TheSquigglyLine

Greetings,

I believe my question has been answered but just to clarify:

Are you sayings that Intel Rapid Storage Technology and the Setup Optane software preform the same task and operate my intel optane drive identically? In other words the are completely, one for one, interchangeable in terms of operation and performance?

Thank you

• 5. Re: Intel Optane On Secondary HDD
                  Intel Corporation

Hello TheSquigglyLine,

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question:

“Are you sayings that Intel Rapid Storage Technology and the Setup Optane software perform the same task and operate my intel optane drive identically? In other words, they are complete, one for one, interchangeable in terms of operation and performance?”

As mentioned in the article shared in our last interaction “Choose SetupRST.exe or SetupOptaneMemory.exe depending on which one makes the most sense for your intended usage and configuration”. Based on your current configuration we will say that it does not matter which one you choose since boot will be able to accelerate your secondary drive and provide you with the same performance. This being said we recommend you to continue using the RST since is already up and running in your system.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                  Intel® Customer Support Technician