4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 6:03 PM by Intel Corporation

Mode Not Supported - NUC7JYH - HDMI to Samsung LE19R86BD

jamiedow

I've tried to run the NUC7JYH (bought as an assembled unit from Ambros) with a HDMI connection to a Samsung LE19R86BD, a TV that functions perfectly well as a monitor when I use it with another machine (VGA 1440x900 59.9Hz - a pretty standard mode).

When connecting via HDMI to the NUC machine, the display gives an error "Mode not supported" right from the outset, i.e. doesn't even display the NUC splash screen, let alone any subsequent display output during or after boot. The kit I have has no VGA output, so I'm confined to HDMI (but that should be fine ... better, even, than VGA!)

I've been exhaustively through the options on the Samsung display itself, and none makes any difference.

I thought that at startup all machines give their splash screens and subsequent default display outputs at resolutions / modes that are very easy for any display to handle.

What is going wrong here, and how do I fix it?

All help much appreciated.

Jamie

• 1. Re: Mode Not Supported - NUC7JYH - HDMI to Samsung LE19R86BD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jamiedow,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are having problems connecting the NUC to the TV via HDMI.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, It is important to try to connect a different HDMI device to the TV to make sure that the cable or the system are not at fault. Aside from this, you can also try using a different cable or else a different HDMI display for testing purposes.

Regards,
          David V

Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Mode Not Supported - NUC7JYH - HDMI to Samsung LE19R86BD
            jamiedow

Thanks. I'm running Linux Mint XFCE (latest version) on the NUC box.

I'll try to give the output of xrandr using the same cable and a different screen, if I can get a moment to do this tomorrow.

Obvs I can't do much using the very same screen, since currently nothing will display on it.

One relevant fact is that when I try to use the HDMI cable to connect the Samsung screen to my laptop (also running linux mint xfce), rather than the usual VGA cable, the Samsung TV will only recognise certain resolutions, which don't include the 1440x900 resolution that works fine via VGA.

None of the resolutions it recognises look at all good, hence why I use the VGA cable.

But it does at least show that the HDMI cable is capable of sending signals to the TV.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Mode Not Supported - NUC7JYH - HDMI to Samsung LE19R86BD
              Intel Corporation

Hello jamiedow,

Thank you for your response.

I was double-checking the information and in fact, in our supported O.S list for the different NUC models, the NUC7CJYH has not been validated to work with Linux* by Intel ®. Nevertheless, I still recommend you to try using a different display and/or HDMI cable, one of this factors could be the one causing the non-display problem. 

Intel does not test nor validates Intel® NUC on Linux*, however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using is successfully on many different Linux distributions. 

We suggest you check your Linux distribution's website and forums at https://forums.linuxmint.com/  for peer assistance with this issue.

Something else that can be tried is the forums for graphics with Linux* which can be found in the link below: 

https://01.org/

I hope this helps.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: Mode Not Supported - NUC7JYH - HDMI to Samsung LE19R86BD
                Intel Corporation

Hello jamiedow,

Thank you for your response.

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                David V