8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 7:59 PM by sammy

Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows

sammy

There was a Intel Matrix Storage Manager that came with a server board in the past...

This was a handy piece of software Is there a version for my desktop board DG45ID?

• 1. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
          Don

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager was replaced with the "RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards" here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15251&lang=eng

Here is a link for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18064&ProdId=3154&lang=eng

• 2. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
            sammy

Hi Don and thanks for your reply and the links.  I guess, I am a little confused what is meant by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager being replaced with the "RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards.

Of course, drivers are needed. they are added duing the install using F6.

the raid manager is a windows application that allows you to see the raid status in windows and allows for some manament of the arrays.

I have installed the drivers but have not win app that lets me see the volumes.  This is why I ask about it beasue i would like to use on my home desktop which is a DG45ID running RAID1 mirrorong and is not a server board. 

Do you know if I can just install the RAID manager from the install package I already have for an 3000AH server board? 

I have also seen the raid manager for other desktops on their drivers download sites for ex: I was repairing a toshiba the other day and they had one on thier download site for that particular machine...

I wonder if I can use one of those as well...

but would rather know for sure before installing it.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
              Don

Hi Sammy,

There isn't much difference between the two raid managers, it seems they tried to make the new one more aesthetically pleasing, but they basically do the same thing. Both of the links attached to the previous reply are for the desktop board you mentioned. I'm not sure if the one from your server board is compatible.

Best regards,

Don

• 4. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
                sammy

Hi and thanks again.

Yes, those are the drivers I installed during set-up.  But could not see any downloads for the matrix manager.

But just to double check...the link you did provide for matrix manager is for a server board SR1680MV.

are you saying that is is compatible with my DG45ID too?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
                  Don

Hi Sammy,

After looking more closely I don't think the Matrix Storage Manager is compatible with your DG45ID. The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 9.6.0.1014 for Intel® Desktop Boards.is compatible with it though.

Sorry for any confusion.

Don

• 6. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
                    Don

Hey Sammy,

Alright I had a little time to check and discovered that the DG45ID does support onboard RAID using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, the following is from the boards manual:

Serial ATA

The Desktop Board supports six Serial ATA channels (3.0 Gb/s) via ICH10R,

connecting one device per channel. One channel is configured as an eSATA channel.

Serial ATA RAID

ICH10R supports Intel

® Matrix Storage Technology which enables the following RAID

(Redundant Array of Independent Drives) levels:

RAID 0 - data striping

RAID 1 - data mirroring

RAID 0+1 (or RAID 10) - data striping and mirroring

RAID 5 - distributed parity

You can access the Intel Matrix Storage Manager by pressing the " ctrl + i " keys during post. In the BIOS "advanced" SATA configuration the default is set to 'IDE', options are 'IDE' 'RAID' or 'AHCI' if you select 'RAID' you will have a choice between Intel or Adaptec, if you choose Intel then during POST you will see the prompt to press ' ctrl + i ' to enter the 'Intel Matrix Storage Manager' utility where you can create the RAID, select drives, etc... For viewing / maintaining the RAID within Windows you will need to instal the " RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards " http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15251&lang=eng

Again, sorry for the confusion (senior moment :) )

• 7. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
                      RJL190365

sammy wrote: Of course, drivers are needed. they are added duing the install using F6.

Well, that depends on your version of Windows. Windows XP requires the F6 install - and you must have one of certain USB floppy drives (the only ones supported under the Windows XP F6 install mode are manufactured by Mitsumi, Teac and one other company I forgot) in order to perform the F6 install. Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not require the F6 install procedure.

• 8. Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows
                        sammy

Hello,

I was never looking for the RAID drivers needed to set up the array.  I have those and my RAID is working.

I was looking for the windows console that allows me to see the volumes in windows.  It monitors them, reports their status and perform rebuilds.

I have found what I was looking for after a lot of searching...Really, Intel should have had them listed on the drivers page for my MB.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18859&lang=eng

These are the latest version, supports win7(x32 and x64) on a ICH10R.

Here is another link for anyone else needing...which is for the drivers and intel matrix manager console for other (Older) versions.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&OSVersion=Windows*+XP+Professional

Thanks