Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Dell XPS Laptop Iris 540 wont run Open GL3

CKell5
Beginner

I have had the run around at both Dell and the Intel sites trying to download an update to my Video Drivers. I am at a conference and need to run Sketchup v 18 witch uses Open GL 3.. i can't believe that a $3000 XPS Laptop that's not even 2 years old cant run openGL3.. Could you please give me some help so I don't have to go buy a brand new laptop. The last time I downloaded a Graphics Driver Update via Dell Support it failed on install. A link to a working driver would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You really need to work this out with Dell. You should use only the driver Dell provides for your laptop, as it is likely they have modified/customized the driver for their hardware.

That said, here is a link to the latest driver from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/88358/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-6th-generation-intel-processors/intel-iris-graphics-540.html Support for Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540

Also, regarding OpenGL, here you can find what is supported by this driver, which is OpenGL 4.5.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html?eu-cookie-notice Supported APIs for Intel® Graphics Controllers

These drivers work. Regarding your $3000 laptop, you need to use the driver(S) provided by Dell.

Now, what operating system do you have? Be specific. Are you using Windows 10 1803, with all of the latest updates?

Do you have dual graphics?

Doc

0 Kudos
CKell5
Beginner

Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586

System Model XPS 13 9350

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6560U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Name Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 540

Adapter Type Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible

Installed Drivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32

Driver Version 21.20.16.4664

0 Kudos
CKell5
Beginner

I wanted to add that downloading via the Dell Update utility the graphics driver failed

Thanks for your help..

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are WAY OUT OF DATE on windows 10. You are on Windows 10 1511 (10586) from November 2015.

It is not a wonder you are having problems with the drivers, as the current drivers were not meant to run on your version of windows.

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows 10 , get the latest version and update your laptop, and then get the latest driver from Dell, which will support OpenGl 4.5

Regarding Dell's website, you will have to discuss that with them.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, two more very important things:

1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP. Yes, I put it in CAPS. Since you have not been keeping your OS up-to-date, I am concerned about you keeping a backup as well.

2) After you update Windows to 1803 (what you download from Microsoft), I want you to go to Dell, and update your bios (with the assistance of dell support).

Doc

0 Kudos
CKell5
Beginner

Ah Hahh.. Thank you for your help... I would have imagined that Windows 10 would have updated along the way...

Wow No one else caught that.

I will see what I can do to update windows 10

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am surprised you were not getting all kinds of action items, notifications, pop-ups, etc being that far out of date.

"No one else caught that" - That is why I get paid the big bucks.

Note: I am not an Intel employee or contractor. I am just a volunteer.

Seriously, once you get 1803 installed, go to Start, Settings, Update&Security, Check for updates. Keep doing this until there are no more. Even if it says you are up-to-date, do it again anyway.

And, the bios update will be necessary, especially with the security updates of recent months.

The dell graphics driver is very important.

After that, you may want to update any programs and applications you have.

Take your time, be patient as you have lots of downloads, installs, updates, and restarts to contend with.

And, please make sure your data is backed up.

Other than that, good luck, and report back when you have everything done.

And, in my best Columbo, one more thing - You will be on 1803 when this is all done. Version 18xx (09, or 10, or even 11) is right around the corner. 18 is the year, xx is the month. So, be prepared in the next 60 days or so to update again.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, this is fresh install of 1803. From what I recall, you can no longer update something as old as 1511. I may be wrong about this.

Doc

0 Kudos