9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 6:00 PM by raymondjpg

NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)

mk6tdi

Hi,

I have bought an NUC7PJYH early august and have updated everything (BIOS 0044, Drivers, Windows).

The computer is mainly used to stream on my Tv and the computer either Freezes (screen isnt responsive anymore and need to hard reboot) and no dump files get created (so not BSOD) or I get a blue screen. BSOD can happen on idle after a long period not being used or when using netflix or on boot (driver ?). I can not figure out what the issue is (driver or hardware) from the dump files. Fast boot is turned off, and sleep is disabled. Hoping I can get some help from more experienced people.

For SSD, i purchased the Adata SU650 120GB, and for ram I took the Crucial Ballistix LT 4GBx2 kit BLS2C4G4S240FSD CL16(which has all same specs as the "Intel Validated" Crucial CT2K4G4SFS824A CL17 except latency, but same company). I have seen lots of people using the Ballistix version and everything is working well as latency 16 is supported for this NUC and at time of purchase, they were listed as supported on the crucial site (but I see now it says NOT).

The RAM has done 8 full passes of MEMTEST86+ on each stick individually and in each slot, as well as a 30 passes (28hours) in with both slots and not a single error detected. I ran Prime95 for CPU, and again, all good. SSD SMART is all good, chkdsk /f returns no errors, and the ADATA diagnostic tool returns no errors. I have tried reinstalling windows, doing sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Image-Cleanup to no avail.

The link for the Dump files is :https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArdSCvUN_-4Bh0OSx6Kuz_FTq8ze

I also included the system info, drivers, etc and the event viewer logs.

I am aware of the Dual Channel issue on this NUC, but my understanding is that everyone still has it running, just slower than expected...but not BSOD from this fault.

Edit: logs only https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArdSCvUN_-4Bh0Tg9gg-sF4vvSjh

• 1. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
          raymondjpg

I have a similar issue with this NUC. Occasional random blue screening while on idle, occasionally on playing a video file, but I have never seen it on boot.

I have reseated all connections, updated the bios, and using all latest drivers. I suspected the update to Windows 10 1803 as the initial culprit, but the amount of blue screening was reduced somewhat by re-installing the ethernet driver. There have also been suggestions that sound drivers might be a cause, but I haven't tried rolling back to earlier graphics/HD audio drivers to see if that has any effect.

There have also been suggestions that a complete rebuild of Windows 1803 from scratch can overcome some instances of blue screening, but I haven't resorted to that yet, nor tried an in situ (repair) install of 1803.

At this stage the amount of blue screening, about one a day in a six hour period, is tolerable, while I await some fix from Intel or Microsoft, if that is the problem. I also have a NUC7i5BNH with Windows 10 1803 which does not have a blue screening problem, but with that I am obliged to use an older version (100) of the HD audio drivers for audio stability. It could be the audio driver that makes the difference, but I suspect it may be more an issue with the hardware  in the NUC7PJYH, possibly with the memory which has been subject of some debate elsewhere in this forum.

Hopefully someone here will be able to pinpoint cause(s) of blue screening with this NUC.

• 2. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mk6tdi,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I  can see that you are having problems with BSODs when using your NUC device.

Regarding this, I would like to start by gathering some information of your system, specifically, the System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Also, I would like to add that you can try testing another RAM stick in the system, just for testing purposes and see if the BSOD occurs then. If it does then it could be also related to O.S, which in this case, another option, if possible, would be to try to re-install the O.S. This also applies to raymondjpg.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            David V

Intel Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 3. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
              mk6tdi

Hi,

i will run the SSU utility once i have access to the computer. However I do have the msinfo32 report in the OneDrive link i posted under « logs » as well as all software/driver info If that can help in the meantime.

As for RAM, i do not have a spare set compatible with the system. However, both sticks currently pass all memory diagnostic in all combinations  (individually, in each slot as well as combined).

I have tried reinstalling the OS maybe 1 week after purchase because i was getting a few BSOD, but this didnt resolve the issue. I haven’t reinstalled it recently as I didnt want to lose any info in case I didnt save all relevant crash files.

Edit: SSU logs attached

• 4. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                Intel Corporation

Hello mk6tdi,

Thank you for your response.

I am currently reviewing the information; however, since you mention it I want to confirm. You were experiencing this issue before and it was solved by an O.S re-installation? Did the problem appear again right now or is it recurring from the past one? I need this information for a better understanding of the situation.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,
                David V

• 5. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                  mk6tdi

Hi David,

sorry there was a typo in my previous reply. The OS reinstall did not resolve the issue. If anything, i am getting more random BSOD’s since that time.

• 6. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                    Intel Corporation

Hello mk6tdi,

Now that it has been clarified I would like to request for screenshots/photos of the blue screen showing the error or crash code. This is important to determine what could be causing this random crashes. Please attach the picture/screenshot to this thread for further analysis. 

Regards,
                    David V

• 7. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                      mk6tdi

Hi David,

I have included the kernel dumps and minidumps in the orginal post.

here is the link: https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fu%2Fs%21ArdSCvUN_-4Bh0OSx6Kuz_FTq8ze

usual culprits are:

service_exception

memory_management

irql_not_less_or_equal

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

i did get 1-2 errors 124 (whea_uncorrectable_error)

i had run driver verifier on all non microsoft drivers for 72hours and didnt get one BSOD, but I hadnt checked all settings to check, only the 4-5 more important settings.

• 8. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                        Intel Corporation

Hello mk6tdi,

I have sent you a private message so we can discuss some steps to follow from here in order to address the issue, please check your inbox.

Regards,
                        David V

• 9. Re: NUC7PJYH constant BSOD (2-3 a day)
                          raymondjpg

It would be helpful for me, and possibly others experiencing random blue screening with this NUC, if the discussion of what steps might be taken to counter this were out in the open rather than subject to private messaging.

Like OP the blue screening I am experiencing comes with apparently number of different errors, so very difficult to pinpoint a cause.