Items with no label
3335 Discussions

DFU Firmware Update Issues Windows 10

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am having issues updating firmware on both D415 and D435 on Windows 10. I have followed all the steps discussed in this thread /thread/126307 https://communities.intel.com/thread/126307 . I still can't get the DFU updated to update firmware. Is there any other solutions besides going to an older windows build?

Thanks,

Victor Cesena

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The only other means I know of to update the firmware in Windows is to install the RealSense UWP (Universal Windows Platform) driver. It also installs a camera firmware.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27799/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Universal-Windows-Platform-UWP-Driver-for-Windows-10?_ga=2.247512327.1691988562.1537077192-808930450.1537077183&elq_cid=1206596 Download Intel® RealSense™ D400 Series Universal Windows Platform (UWP) Driver for Windows® 10

However, the firmware version that it installs (5.9.13) is a few versions old now and will become older over time as more firmwares are released.

During some research into the problem, I observed that the firmwares from the firmware download page and the old firmware in the UWP package are both 'bin' format files. So if you want to install the latest firmware, you could try substituting the old file for new (this is just a theory, I have not tried it myself).

STEP ONE

Download the UWP driver zip file into a folder you have created (e.g New Folder) and extract the zip file's contents into this folder. There should be a file in it called .RS400Firmware.bin

STEP TWO

Download the current firmware driver file (not the updater tool).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28076/Latest-Firmware-for-Intel-RealSense-D400-Product-Family?v=t Download Latest Firmware for Intel® RealSense™ D400 Product Family

STEP THREE

Delete the RS400Firmware.bin file from the folder with the unzipped UWP. Go into the folder with the unzipped firmware driver file and right-click on the 'Signed_UVC' file (e.g 'Signed_Image_UVC_5_10_3.bin').

When the menu pops up, select 'Rename' ,then rename the file to RS400Firmware.bin

STEP FOUR

Drop the renamed RS400Firmware.bin firmware file into the UWP folder in place of the deleted older firmware bin file and then run the UWP installation tool. Hopefully it will think that the substituted firmware file is the one that was originally in there and install it without problems.

If the above theory does not work and the best you can do is install the 5.9.13 firmware with the UWP driver installer, the main features that you will miss out on are recent bug fixes and the hardware-syncing of multiple cameras.

idata
Employee

Thanks for the solution. I wasn't able to get it to work. Is this an easier operation on Linux? Also, why hasn't intel addressed this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'm sorry that the procedure above didn't work for you.

Experience of other cases of problems with the updater tool suggests that if you have problems with using one version of it (Windows), using another version (Linux) will not work either. Doing the firmware update on another PC may help if you have access to one may help, as a camera may not experience the same problems on another machine. As the firmware is stored inside the camera and not on the computer, a successfully updated firmware can be taken back to your own PC with the camera.

If you have more than one USB 3 port on your PC, I would recommend plugging the camera into another USB 3 port though first and seeing if the updater tool will work on that. USB-related problems may also be reduced by using the cameras with a mains-powered USB hub instead of plugging it directly into the computer or a hub that is powered by the computer.

If you continue to have problems, you may benefit from posting a message at the RealSense GitHub site, where the RealSense engineers and developers reside. You can post there by going to the link below and clicking the 'New Issue' button. Good luck!

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues Issues · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

Fwiw ... This has been a known issue for months ... If the manual DFU don't work then neither will the uwp driver.

As best as we can tell its a bug in how windows sees the sensor when it's switheds to DFU mode ... Which is a special mode that make the sensor appear like a different type of device to wibdoes.

On older buikds of windows pre the 180x creators release the DFU seems to work alwsys.

Find an older wondows box to do updates is how we sorted the issue at the moment.

Also make sure U have a USB 3.1 or 3.2 connection ... Some older 3.0 connections also seem to have issues

Westa

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for your help with this case, Westa! There may be a range of causes, from the sensor that you mention to a USB issue (not having USB 3.1, or some other USB issue that prevents the tool from working correctly).

For the reference of others, I located the case where you had your own problems with updating the firmware. It looks as though, in that case, you did not find a solution other than using an older version of Windows?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. I am trying to drag down an older build windows box. I tried doing this firmware update on windows 8.1 build with no luck. Same issue on both cameras. I thought the 8.1 windows would work fine. Do you know if Intel is actively trying to fix this issue or is it just up to the end user?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst the camera can work with Windows 8.1 (though not have hardware frame synchronization), the updater tool's Windows version needs Windows 10 and a USB 3.1 port.

I recalled a previous recent case with the DFU error where the user was able to successfully update their firmware once they used a calibration tool to reset the camera to factory-new state.

Ignore the first paragraph on the linked message and read from 'Another alternative...'

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/2195# issuecomment-410500481 OpCodes do not match! Sent 21 but received -6! · Issue # 2195 · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Victor,

Since you firmware is not updating on the machine you are currently using, the best way to remedy this problem is to update firmware on a different computer altogether. (using Linux to update firmware on the same machine likely will not make a difference).

Then follow the instructions here to update the firmware on a Windows machine:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/Windows-RealSense-D400-DFU-Guide.pdf

Or if you're using a Linux machine to update firmware, follow the instructions here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/Linux-RealSense-D400-DFU-Guide.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards,

Sahira
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sahira,

Thank you. I have tried updating the firmware on three different machines. Two windows 10 and one Windows 8.1 machines with USB 3.1/3.2 ports. I tried the multiple port strategy and that hasn't worked. I have been able to get the Windows 10 machines to recognize the devices as cameras and not just usb devices. I have tried the UWP route as well no luck either.

I am out of ideas at the moment. I am trying to get a friend's linux machine to do the update. I wish intel would take of this issue with an update. I understand it is more of Microsoft issue than Intel but regardless it makes utilizing Intel cameras on windows machines harder.

Thanks,

Victor

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If the calibration table inside your camera is corrupted then no change of machine will help. A corrupted table prevents firmware updates and gives the DFU error. I suggested above to try rebooting the camera to its factory default with a reset mechanism to fix the table, as doing so fixed the problem for another user and enabled them to complete the firmware update.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/2195# issuecomment-410500481 OpCodes do not match! Sent 21 but received -6! · Issue # 2195 · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Victor,

Since you are not able to update firmware on any machine, I would recommend trying Marty G.'s suggestion of rebooting the camera to its factory default to fix calibration tables first, before trying to update firmware.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Sahira

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

*For more information about restoring calibration tables to factory settings, see page 45- of the RealSense D400 Series Calibration Tools User Guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/RealSense_D400_Dyn_Calib_User_Guide.pdf
0 Kudos