5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2018 6:15 AM by mrcrowley

NUC6CAYH no video signal

mrcrowley

This is my second NUC6CAYH with the same problem: no video signal. Maybe is it because of the ram Kingston KVR16LS11/4   ??

But the blu led is not blinking for memory problems (3 blink)

I try clearing CMOS but still got no video with both hdmi and vga. I try on two different monitor: LG 24MP88HV-S (hdmi &vga) and Hanns-G HW191G (vga).

The first nuc was a reconditioned product, so I think it was faulty, but now I suspect that the ram is faulty. Could it be also with no blinking message ???

I try to boot also with no SSD drive installed. Nothing. For info it is a Drevo X1Pro.

What do you suggest me to do ??? I could try to connect to other monitor at work but at this point I don't know if it makes a sense.

Bye

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH no video signal
          N.Scott.Pearson

The LED will flash if the NUC is unable to initialize the memory. The fact that it doesn't flash doesn't mean that there isn't any problems with the memory, however. If this is the second NUC that you are having problems with, the memory very well could be the problem. Unfortunately, the only way to know may be to test with different memory. There is one thing that you can try with what you have now, however. With only one DIMM installed and VGA monitor directly connected, turn on the unit and let it sit for 30 minutes. If there is a problem with the memory and the system is hanging as a result, the watchdog timer should eventually wake the system and a message be produced on the screen.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH no video signal
            mrcrowley

No video and no message after 30 minutes too.

Should I proceed to buy a new bank of memory ?? I have only one bank and I installed on the lower slot. Is it right ??

Thks

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH no video signal
              N.Scott.Pearson

The slot shouldn't matter - but, by all means, try moving it to the other slot and see if this makes a difference. If this doesn't work, you can try a different DIMM. Try to find a shop that will let you test it before purchasing. As to what to try, all I can say is I am not a fan of Kingston and I usually purchase Crucial. This is the DIMM I have in my NUC6CAYS: CT102464BF160B.M16FN.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH no video signal
                mrcrowley

Move the ram to the upper slot, nothing change.

I order a bank of Crucial, even if the Kingston are into the Intel compatibility list, because thinking it over, with my other NUC7i5BNK I have two banks of Crucial and it works great.

Thks

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH no video signal
                  mrcrowley

Put it in a bank of Crucial and .... it finally boots !!!

Now I have to study sometimes for linux installation, but this is another story.

Thank you very much !!!