2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2018 12:46 PM by FranBNH

3.3v on 1.2v NUC?

FranBNH

Hi, sorry for my dummy question.

I bought a NUC i5 BNH who said 1.2v and I have a SDD 3.3v 1.7A, can I use it?

Thanks you so much.

• 1. Re: 3.3v on 1.2v NUC?
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the input voltage of your NUC is 19V, 65W, so there are no issues from that standpoint.

In making the decision as to what storage device(s) to use, you have a significant number of options. From highest performance to lowest, these are your choices:

1. Use a M.2 NVMe SSD.

2. Use a M.2 SATA SSD.

3. Use a 2.5" SATA SSD.

4. Use a 2.5" SATA HDD.

Since SSDs are much more expensive than HDDs, you can use a relatively small SSD (say, 128-256 GB) for Windows and a large (but slower) HDD for your data files. With options 1 and 2, you can also include a 2.5" SATA HDD within the NUC chassis (up to 2TB drives are possible -- and available for less than US$100). For options 3 and 4, you can use an external HDD that connects to the NUC via USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt (via the USB-C connector).

My recommendation would be a 256GB M.2 SSD and a 2TB 2.5" SATA HDD. Highest performance would be a M.2 NVMe SSD, which, for 256GB, will cost you ~US$150 (more for even higher performance models). Contrast this with a slower M.2 SATA SSD, which, for 256GB, will cost you ~US$100. Remember, NVMe SSDs are a minimum of 3x the performance of SATA SSDs, but some are 5x or even 6x the performance!

If you would like to stick with the option you are already looking at, please respond with its full part number and we can evaluate it for you.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3.3v on 1.2v NUC?
            FranBNH

Thank you sooooo much.

Great response, I didn't not expect so much dedication.

Congratulations for your great level and my most sincere gratitude.