Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane Not Detected In BIOS Or Windows

KPose
Beginner

Hello,

My 32GB Intel Optane Memory is not detected anymore in BIOS or Windows. I tried looking for it on everything: NVMe configuration in bios, device manager, Intel Rapid Storage, etc.

The drive worked previously until i had to reinstall another OS on a separate hard drive. In order to perform the OS install, I had to remove the Intel Optane drive. Prior to removing the drive, I disabled it using the RST user interface. Once I installed the OS and re-inserted the drive, it was no longer available to enable, and completely hidden in both BIOS and Windows.

I have spent many hours trying to resolve the problem, to no avail. Attached is my SSU report for review. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaleb
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi poseykw16,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

I have seen this kind of issue in other community threads but it happens usually if the Intel® Optane™ Memory wasn't disabled before disconnecting it, so it's weird that it happened to you if you disabled it first.

Anyhow, some users have reported that formatting the module fixed the issue, so let's try to do this.

There are two ways to format the Intel® Optane™ Memory. The first one is from Windows*. I understand that you are not able to see the module anywhere (BIOS nor Windows*) but let's try this, hopefully it works:

1. Please open your command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart to enter in the Diskpart environment.
  3. Type list disk and press enter to display a list of the drives connected to your system. You should see the Intel® Optane™ Memory there. If you cannot see it, please take a screenshot and include it in your reply.
  4. If the module appears in the list, please take note of the disk number. Then run the command select disk . Make sure to use the disk number associated to the module.
  5. Type clean all and press enter. This command will clean the module erasing all data stored in it. The purpose is to delete all data from the previous setup so that the module can be re-configured again from scratch. Just wait for the process to complete and then try to setup the module again.

Please try this and let me know if it works.

The second method is from BIOS. This will depend on your BIOS, so I won't be able to tell you exactly where the option is. You should look for an option named as "Reset to non-Optane" or similar. It should appear under the section "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology". Please try this method in case the first one didn't work. If you are not able to find the option, let me know.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
KPose
Beginner

Diego,

I have searched through the other threads trying to find a solution. I cannot see the device using the diskpart command, nor can I see it in Device Manager, Disk Manager, or BIOS.

I have searched for hours, but I have yet to find a problem exactly like mine. One of the suggestions was to use another motherboard to deconcatenate the Optane drive, however, that is not a feasible option for me. Do you have another solution?

Thanks,

Kaleb
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kaleb,

Thank you for the information.

If I understood you well, everything else works fine, including the drive that you were accelerating with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, right?

To better understand you could you please confirm if you are using now the original drive that was being accelerated by the module, or the new drive where you recently installed the OS?

Have you, by any chance, make some changes in the ports where the module and the drives were connected? This is just to confirm we are considering all possible options that may be causing the issue.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
KPose
Beginner

Everything else works correct, and is still running on the original drive. No changes have been made to the ports.

I have started the warranty process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kaleb,

Thank you for the information and for letting me know about the warranty process.

In fact, considering that everything else is working fine, including the original drive, the replacement would be the most appropriate way to proceed.

I'll consider the thread as resolved since you already started the warranty process. If you have further questions, feel free to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos