1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 11:31 AM by Intel Corporation

Error enabling optane drive

KennethMoreira85

My system specs:

Motherboard: Asus B250M-A
      CPU: Intel i5 7400
      Gpu:EVGA Gtx 970
      Boot: 120 gig SSD
      Media drive: 2TB baracuda
      Optane: 32gig  (it is in the correct slot as per the motherboard manual)

Windows 10 PRO x64.

20180906_224332.jpg

Launch CRM is set to Disabled

20180906_224318.jpg

Drives enabled with hot plug DISABLED.

Sata M.2 selection mode set to RTS control enabled.

20180907_203016.jpg

These are my Current drives, as listed.

20180907_203250.jpg

The drive I WANT to accelerate (secondary SATA HDD)

20180907_203308.jpg

Error i get (0xA005004B)

20180907_203257.jpg

as per trouble shooting, I tried to accelerate my boot / Data SATA SSD

.20180907_203317.jpg

I get this ERROR on my SSD data.
      AND I get this error if i try to install using OPTANESETUP.EXE

(0xA0050055)

• 2. Re: Error enabling optane drive
          KennethMoreira85

intel_admin  can i get some help please? I've been struggling with this for almost 18 hrs.  reformatted both drives and lost everything once by accident trying to get it to work. 

• 3. Re: Error enabling optane drive
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello KennethMoreira85

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series (32GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0, 20nm, 3D Xpoint). If we infer correctly we advise you to take the following information into consideration:

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 ProcessorsIntel® Core™ i5-7400 ProcessorIntel® B250 Chipset15.5 or later                                          
            NoteFor secondary/data drive acceleration support, 16.0.2 or later is required. A System BIOS update is also required, contact your motherboard vendor.

• We advise you to contact Asus in order to confirm that you have the latest available version of your BIOS installed on your system.

On the main time, we will be reviewing the information you provide us and we will be replying to this post as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.
            Intel Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation
            • 4. Re: Error enabling optane drive
              KennethMoreira85

Thanks for response, ya I did a bios update prior to hardware installation. Used the built in updater 

• 5. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                KennethMoreira85

intel_admin. is there anything else i can try while you guys review the log or is it just a matter of waiting at this point?

• 6. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                  Intel Corporation

Hello KennethMoreira85.

Thank you for your reply.

We are working on trying to reproduce your issue in our labs and as soon as we have an update we will be replying to this post.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

• 7. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                    KennethMoreira85

tried to boot via ahci mode and it gives me blue screen. No boot device. ) every little bit of Information I can give I will)

• 8. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                      KennethMoreira85

intel_admin    

update

i reformatted with unallocated space on the end of the c drive.  I still CANNOT get optane to work with my D drive (2TB)
                      (error 0xa005004b)

however, it DID enable properly now on my C / Data drive.

so we are getting there.

• 9. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                        Intel Corporation

Hello KennethMoreira85,

We are glad to hear that you were able to accelerate your primary drive, but our main goal is to try to accelerate your secondary/Data drive in order to try to accomplish this please follow these recommendations:

- Please low-level format your Secondary/Data HDD in order to write zeros and to try again to accelerate your secondary drive(remember to back up your information first).

Here are some free tools you can use to run a low-level format:

HDAT2*
                        KillDisk*
                        DBAN*

-If this does not work our only recommendation is to backup and to reinstall your OS by following the guide below:

*Please, notice that this guide was created using Intel® products only and we cannot assure you that it may work if you have components from different manufacturers.

In order to perform a Windows fresh installation and a secondary/data drive acceleration in a system with a system BIOS that is compatible with secondary/data drive acceleration and starting in RST premium following the steps below:

Intel recommends that a full and verified backup of data be performed before attempting to apply this process; see "The Importance of a Backup Solution" at:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000007914.html.

•           Access to your system BIOS and access to the following settings:

Peripherals / Intel®RST RAID driver

Once here check if the HDD that you are going to install your OS and the Intel® Optane™ Memory are detected properly.

•           Turn your PC off and disconnect all the other hard drive devices from your system including the Optane and check that your OS HDD is the only storage device in the system.
                        •           Start the Windows setup process and select the Custom: Install Windows only(advanced option) and select the Load driver option.

•           Download the driver from the following link and unzip the file on the USB thumb drive:
                        https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28072/eng/f6flpy-x64.zip

•           Click on browse and select the folder where the drivers are located and the installer is going to load the list of available drivers.

•           You are going to be offered with 2 options, please, select the “Intel® chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium, Controller”

•           After loading the necessary drivers it should show your HDD storage device.

•           Continue the setup process as usual by selecting the drive that you want to use as primary and accept if the system requests to create more partitions (remember to left some space at the end of the drive).

•           After the setup process is completed boot to your new Windows installation and completes the required information to access your desktop and turn your PC off
                        •           Connect your Intel® Optane™ Memory and the secondary SATA drive that you want to accelerate and turn your system back on.

•           Check on the Disk manager tool that your drives are detected properly.

•           Download and install the latest Optane memory software.

•           Restart your system as requested at the end of the setup process.

•           Access to the Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and check the acceleration settings.
                        •          Try to accelerate your secondary/Data drive if it does not work back up the information on this drive and format this HDD restart and try again.
                        •          If the secondary drive cannot be accelerated try with your primary drive and let us know the results.
                        •          If you are not able to accelerate your primary or the secondary drive, please use a different image of Windows 10. 

We hope you find this information useful.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Josh B.

• 10. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                          KennethMoreira85

being that I've now reformatted both drives twice this month, and re installed all the files and games etc .
                          I am  pretty much at my ISP data cap for the month, I'll try this walkthrough in October and respond with my results. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                            KennethMoreira85

Got it. 

@

removed my SSD / OS from the pc

Inserted window 10 media usb

made sure bios set to RST controlled SATA and CLM was Disabled

Formatted my HDD with 100 mb unallocated space at the end

installed the drivers “Intel® chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium, Controller”

installed windows on the HDD

installed optane and ENABLED it.

it worked!

re connected my Data drive / SSD with windows also on it

set my bios to boot from the SSDs copy of boot mananger /windows.

checked in the optane program, the HDD is STILL enabled as accelerated.

so I now have my OS on SSD and Optane accelerating the 2TB HDD.

intel_admin

• 12. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                              Intel Corporation

Hello KennethMoreira85,

We are glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue you were experiencing and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

• 13. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                                Intel Corporation

Hello KennethMoreira85,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.   

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                                Intel Customer Support.

• 14. Re: Error enabling optane drive
                                  KennethMoreira85

seems to be working . you can consider this issue resolved. Ty 

1 2 Previous Next