6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 10:37 AM by Intel Corporation

Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem

BigTuna1234

Hello,

I am working on a project which requires two frame buffers for two different applications.  The board is Up2 which has an Apollo Lake N3350 SOC.  In the back of Up2 there are DP and HDMI connectors.   The O.S. of choice is Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 LTS.  We edit xorg.conf to enable Zaphod and SNA mode. 

Here is our xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier        "Layout0"

Screen            "Screen0" 0 0

Screen            "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier        "Device0"

Driver            "intel"

BusID            "0:2:0"

Option            "ZaphodHeads" "DP1"

Option            "AccelMethod" "sna"

Screen            0

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier        "Device1"

Driver            "intel"

BusID            "0:2:0"

Option            "ZaphodHeads" "HDMI1"

Option            "AccelMethod" "sna"

Screen            1

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier        "Screen0"

Monitor            "DP Display"

Device            "Device0"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier        "Screen1"

Monitor            "HDMI Display"

Device            "Device1"

EndSection

Below is summary of problem

• In Ubuntu, only DP monitor has output.  HDMI monitor is blank.  Even DP has output, there are some rendering issues, noise, and screen flickering..etc. 
      • xrandr only shows information of DP and says virtual 1 is disconnected.  However in /sys/class/drm, we see HDMI-A-1 is connected. 
      • Also if we do DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox.  We see potion of firefox on HDMI screen; not entire firefox but only a portion of it. 
      • Change accelmode to uxa, we can see both screens but there is only a single frame buffer.
      • We use driver comes with Ubuntu

Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestion to make Zaphod mode to work with Apollo Lake in Ubuntu?

Up2 info can be found in Up Board | Power Up Your Ideas!

Thanks

Zack

• 1. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello BigTuna1234,

Thank you for your posting you inquiry in our community.
          We are currently investigating your case; I will reach you back as soon as we have an answer.

In the meantime, please try creating a new account and posting your issue here

Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
            Intel Corporation

Hello BigTuna1234
            Thank you for your patience.
            Based on the description of your case, the best way to approach the issue that you are experiencing is contacting directly the manufacturer of your board as this is catalogued by them as a SDK (Software development kit), which is not supported by Intel®.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Diego S.

• 3. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
              Intel Corporation

Hello YesMan,

We just wanted to double check that you were able to get assistance?
              I hope to hear from you soon.
              Best Regards,
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
                BigTuna1234

Thanks for getting back to me.

Unfortunately we are still stock.  Actually I tried on various MB with different Intel product i.e. Bay Trail E3825 and Broadwell-U 7200U, all have exact same problem.

Below is output of X server log

Xorg.0.log Output (when set machine as single frame buffer)

in the middle

[     7.821] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on DP1 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

[     7.829] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI1 using pipe 1, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

[     7.830] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 285

the end

[    10.715] (II) intel(0): resizing framebuffer to 3840x1080

[    10.749] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI1 using pipe1, position (1920, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

Xorg.0.log Output (when set machine as Zaphod mode)

in the middle

[     7.515] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on DP1 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

[     7.517] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 285

[     7.523] (II) intel(1): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI1 using pipe 1, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

[     7.534] (II) intel(1): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 285

the end

there is no information about setup pipe 1 to position (1920, 0)   

The X Server detects chipset and display type/resolution correctly.  The difference is in the end, in single frame buffer mode, it resize frame buffer and change output of HDMI to (1920,0).  In Zaphod mode, there is no such switch; pipe 0 and pipe 1 are still at (0,0).

We are using Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 with stock driver.

X server : X.Org X Server 1.19.6

Intel Driver (Ubuntu default)

[     7.447] (II) LoadModule: "intel"

[     7.448] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so

[     7.452] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

[     7.452]  compiled for 1.19.5, module version = 2.99.917

[     7.452]  Module class: X.Org Video Driver

[     7.452]  ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 23.0

[     7.452] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:

i810, i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,

915G, E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G, 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45, 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43

[     7.453] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics

[     7.453] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics

[     7.453] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics

[     7.455] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20171023

[     7.455] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16.04 2:2.99.917+git20171229-1~16.04.1 (Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@debian.org>)

[     7.455] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled for use with valgrind

[     7.461] (II) intel(1): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20171023

[     7.461] (II) intel(1): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16.04 2:2.99.917+git20171229-1~16.04.1 (Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@debian.org>)

[     7.461] (II) intel(1): SNA compiled for use with valgrind

[     7.462] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 505

[     7.462] (--) intel(0): CPU: x86-64, sse2, sse3, ssse3, sse4.1, sse4.2; using a maximum of 4 threads

If you need more info, please be more specific.  I can try to get for you.

I hope Intel can look at this and provide a driver or assistance to fix this problem.

• 5. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
                  Intel Corporation

Hello BigTuna1234,
                  Thank you for your response.
                  We’ll investigate further into this; I’ll post you back as soon as we have more information.
                  I hope this helps.
                  Regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: Apollo Lake and Xorg-Intel Zaphod problem
                    Intel Corporation

03496664 clean drivers and CTRL ALT F12  AND SERVICES.MSC
                    Hello BigTuna1234,
                    Thank you for your response.
                    In this case, in order to assist you better please create a ticket in our embedded communities for further support.
                    Also please consider that embedded processor design companies are directly supported by FAEs (Field Application Engineer) and they can use our Intel(R) Premier Support (IPS) to submit issues. To get an IPS account setup and activated, you will need to contact your system manufacturer’s FAE.
                    If this is not an option please create a ticket on the link provided above.
                    I hope to hear from you soon.
                    Regards,
                    Diego S.