6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 1:24 PM by jakeding

experiment setup for good depth map

jakeding

Hi Guys,

I want to organize an experiment about counter-movement jump using D435 and Nuitrack skeleton tracking SDK. The subject will jump 2m away in front of the camera (see figure_1). My aim is to plot various joint angles and displacement using the xyz data at each joint during the jumping phase as accurate as possible. It obviously requires the accurate depth map.

I decide to use the down-sample & spatial filter to increase the depth map precision. However, after reading all white papers from Intel, I still have some questions in my mind:

1/ What's the ultimate aim for the spatial filter to achieve? My understanding is: Reduce RMS error while preserving the edge.

2/ As the paper said, the point cloud is the best way to view the spatial noise. I can use Realsense Labview code to view the point cloud of the subject in front of me. (see figure_2)

But what's your suggestion to find good set of parameters for the spatial/subsample filters according to the experiment environment using point cloud? In other words, what the good standard for the filtered depth map? Less RMS error and clear edge without any over smooth? Or......

3/ I read the paper which said the RGB color will help the depth calculation. What does this mean? In my understanding: If I want to improve the depth precision, I should wear red, blue or green color. And it's better to wear long trousers and long-sleeve shirt. Am I right?

4/ The paper said the RMS error will be smaller if we turn off the projector. How can I understand this point?

And if I follow this logic, can I improve the depth quality by using the outside projector which project semi-random dots on the subject body? Do I have to use the infrared dot? Where can I buy the special IR projector which can project IR dots? I can't find this kind of product on the market.

5/ I still remembered the reflective marker will reduce the quality of the depth map for Kinect depth map. There is hole at the marker. Does the Realsense has the similar problem around the reflective marker?

Actually, if we have to stick some reflective makers during the experiments, is there any method to mitigate this problem?

Thanks!