7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 5:55 AM by YesMan

NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable

YesMan

Hello all,

I recently received an RMA unit for my NUC8i7HVK.  The new unit had firmware version 0022 and was working fine with my installed SSD and RAM.  When I ran the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, it indicated the latest BIOS was 0049.  I downloaded the firmware files and copied it to a USB stick, then rebooted my NUC and followed the update instructions from within UEFI....the update process progressed and it indicated a successful update.  Great!!

After rebooting my NUC, I got a no boot device found message....my SSD drive was not booting.  I went back into the BIOS/UEFI settings and looked for my USB to do a BIOS flash again, only I couldn't see the USB any more, nor was an SSD drive being detected.  It took me a little while to troubleshoot but I eventually discovered that the SSD drive was booting when moved from slot A to slot B.

My problems:

1. I now only have one working M.2 slot, so can't upgrade my internal storage capacity, unless I replace my boot drive with a bigger one.
      2. My USB3 flash drive only works in UEFI when I use a USB hub that has USB2 ports.  The USB hub has USB3 and USB2 ports on it.

These are odd issues for a firmware update.

• Has anyone experienced this issue for BIOS update version 0049? 
      • If yes, was there a solution to fix the SSD issue on slot A?

Thanks

• 1. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello YesMan,
          Thank you for posting your inquiry through our communities.
          Your case captured our attention as this is not a normal behavior after a BIOS update.
          Can you please provide us with your RAM Memory and SSD specs (amount, size, speed and voltage or brand and part number)?
          As well, can you please clear the CMOS battery of your device following these instructions?
          Please perform the clean up with a minimal environment (1 stick of RAM only - remove SSD).
          Have you checked if there is a firmware update on your SSD?
          I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
            YesMan

Hello Diego S.,

Thanks for your reply.  I will try out your instructions soon to see if it makes a difference.  The battery had to be disconnected as part of my trouble shooting process, allowing me to get into he BIOS/UEFI.

Some system information is as follows:-

System Manufacturer Intel Corporation

System Model NUC8i7HVK

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8809G CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3096 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. HNKBLi70.86A.0049.2018.0801.1601, 01/08/18

SMBIOS Version 3.1

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Intel Corporation

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_20738086&REV_00\4&1C1CF52C&0&0009

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_20738086&REV_31\3&11583659&0&A0

With regards to my SSD and RAM I have the following:-

SSD - Samsung 500GB 960EVO M.2 SSD  (latest SSD firmware is installed)

RAM (x2) - Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB modules (DDR4 2400MHz)

• 3. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
              Intel Corporation

Hello YesMan,
              Thank you for your response.
              Perfect, I will wait for you’re the outcome.
              On the meantime, can you please provide me with your RAM memory full part number?

Regards,
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
                YesMan

Hi Diego S.,

I followed the BIOS reset procedure.  It temporarily made the device not boot up again.  I then moved my SSD from Slot B to Slot A and followed the reset procedure again....the NUC started to boot off Port A now.  Can't really test if Slot B works along with Slot A , as i don't have a spare SSD yet.

Also I will mention that I have a Microsoft Modern keyboard with fingerprint ID...getting into the BIOS with this keyboard is problematic (when attached using the USB cable), so I use a regular USB keyboard, which works well.

As for the RAM model information you requested, I have :-

Kingston HyperX HX424S14IB/16 modules. (16GB DDR4 SODIMM modules)

NVMe SSD is Samsung 960 EVO, model MZ-V6E500

My system now boots the OS with the SSD in slot A.

Thanks

• 5. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
                  Intel Corporation

Hello YesMan,
                  Thank you for your response.
                  We are performing further investigation to check if something else could be causing you issue.
                  In the meantime, have you tried to move the SSD to make sure that both of them are working fine?

Regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
                    Intel Corporation

Hello YesMan,

We just wanted to double check if you were able to test both slots?
                    Best Regards,
                    Diego S.

• 7. Re: NUC8i7HVK BIOS update 0049 made M.2. Slot A unusable
                      YesMan

Hi Diego S.,

Just tested the other M.2 SSD port and can confirm that it did boot from M.2 port B.  I returned the SSD to M.2 port A and it works too.  Not able to test both simultaneously as I don't have a spare SSD yet.  It looks like it won't be an issue.

Cheers