Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Intel® Chipset Device Software 10.1.1.42 support for X299, i9 7980XE and Windows 7

DDeLu
Beginner

Why won't you support the latest processors in Windows 7.

I know the line "Bite the bullet and get Windows 10 and run your old software in a Windows 7 virtual box."

I, and many like me have a Ceton InfiniTV cable card tuner that requires "Windows Media Center" with digital rights management.

It will not run in a virtual machine as it needs to interact with the hardware directly.

Apparently the cable companies have a lot of pull to force Intel and Microsoft to collude in eliminating the use of this hardware!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It has been known for more than two years, that 7th gen and later processors only run Windows 10.

Ceton has had plenty of time to come up with an alternative solution/driver.

And, there is no collusion - there are only conspiracy theorists.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Doc is absolutely correct. There's no conspiracy here. The issues with Ceton have nothing to do with any of the (IMHO) purely financial decisions that Microsoft and Intel made regarding what they would and would not validate or support.

I too have Ceton hardware (both 4-tuner PCIe card and 4-tuner Network box) and I cannot use them (other than for basic channels) purely because my FIOS service was upgraded and cable cards are no longer supported. I have multiple computers in the house that can still access the Network box (because they have 6th gen or older processors and (for now) remain Windows 7-based) but the value proposition is pretty much gone (I can get these same channels using a $10 antenna connected to the associated TVs).

...S

P.S. I BTW, never got the software to run on Windows 8.1, let alone on Windows 10.

< Edit: Added: >

P.S. If the message was not obvious, it takes a lot of people, a lot of time and costs a lot of money to validate an O/S release. Every extra O/S release that you support increases schedule impact, people required and overall cost. This is (also) one of the major reasons why many groups at Intel, such as the team responsible for the NUC, Compute Stick and Compute Card products, do not formally support the use of Linux on their products. Adding support for even one major distribution would cost them as much to validate as supporting Windows 10 does. Again, these are all simple, financially-based decisions; there's no conspiracy here at all - except, as Al says, in the heads of the conspiracy theorists.