8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 11:25 AM by Intel Corporation

HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548

mikedusd

I am using Dell Inspiron 5548 with integrated Intel HD 5500 with Graphics chipset AMD R7 M265. I have installed Photoshop CC 2018. Photoshop is not detecting the Graphics card. Message is that Display driver has a problem and needs updated driver. bert

• 1. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mikedusd,

I understand that Photoshop CC 2018 is not detecting the graphics adapter. 

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, I would like you to try to re-install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of your system, in this case Dell. This is because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
            mikedusd

Thanks for your mail.

Diagnostics report as asked by you is attached. I hope you can identify the problem soon.

I am trying to reinstall drivers from Dell, I am unable to uninstall AMD driver. Will update you.

Thanks. Mike.

• 3. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
              Intel Corporation

Hello mikedusd,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, the recommendation we have is to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer (Dell) in order to install the graphics driver. This is because your system has hybrid graphics and it needs to follow an order of installation. Also, We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Please let me know the outcome when you update the graphics driver with the manufacturer's driver.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
                mikedusd

Hello David, I reinstalled both Intel and AMD drivers from Dell site, both needed updating. Now the Photoshop - performance -advanced is indicating the hardware (Screenshot attached). However, when I try to use Photoshop -Filters-Stylize-Oil Paint, I get the message "Photoshop has encountered a problem with display driver and has temporarily disabled enhancement of this feature which use the graphics hardware."

Effectively, graphics card is not usable.

• 5. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
                  Intel Corporation

Hello mikedusd,

I would like to know which graphics adapter you are using currently. Which one did you select? Are you using the one from Intel ® or the AMD one? Please try switching to the other one and check if this problem is still present.

Let me know please. 

Regards,
                  David V

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
                    mikedusd

Hello David, Thanks for suggestion. In the Windows 10 - Device manager - Display Adapters - I find both AMD Radeon R7 M265 and Intel HD Graphics 5500 are installed and status - This device is working properly for both. AMD is first and Intel second.

However, in Photoshop CC2018 - Edit - Performance page, it is showing -"Detected Graphics Processor - AMD Radeon only. Intel HD 5500 is not being shown by Photoshop. So there is no option to select one of the two.

Just to try, I disabled Device -AMD Radeon in Device Manager and restarted Photoshop. I found that Photoshop is now detecting the Intel HD Graphics 5500.  

Now the Photoshop - Filters - Stylize - Oil Paint was also working, though I don't know how to check if graphics card performance is full or limited.

I am confused now. If Intel Graphics card is to work with AMD driver disabled, why install it in the first place.  Or is the card performance restricted? Can you please advise further.

Thanks for the earlier hint, I am able to use the Oil Paint plug in now, even if limited.

• 7. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
                      Intel Corporation

Hello mikedusd,

First, I am really glad to know that you are now able to use what you wanted to use before which is the Oil Paint plugin. Now, to answer your question, this is something that the manufacturer has implemented that is called "hybrid graphics", which is a system that comes with both integrated and dedicated graphics adapters. 

For more information on how to use them properly, how to enable or disable it is recommended to contact the manufacturer of the system which in this case is Dell*. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

Regards,
                      David V

• 8. Re: HD5500 not detected by Photoshop CC 2018 using Dell Laptop 5548
                        Intel Corporation

Hello mikedusd,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                        David V

Intel Customer Support Technician
                        Under Contract to Intel Corporation