8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 4:50 AM by @MAN

Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16

@MAN

Hi,

After checking Intel specifications I've purchased one Intel NUC7PJYH2 and an Intel Validated Memory Module - Corsair CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16.

The NUC fails to start using the single 8GB RAM module(Intel validated memory!)

By "fails to start" I mean no video output and power button led emitting the memory error signal.

I did tested the Corsair CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16 8GB RAM Module on a HP Laptop(Intel Core i7-7500U CPU) using MemTest86 V7.5 FREE - no errors reported.

Managed to perform a BIOS update on the NUC(using a borrowed RAM module - Crucial CT4G4SFS824A.C8FBD) but that did not solved my issue.

To be clear:

- the NUC is NUC7PJYH2 - specs/details: Intel® NUC Kit NUC7PJYH Product Specifications

Memory & Storage

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)   8 GB

Memory Types                                 DDR4-2400 1.2V SO-DIMM

- the RAM acquired to use with the NUC is a single 8GB module, part of the 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16.

RAM specs/details: https://www.corsair.com/p/CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16

Tested Latency   16-16-16-39

Tested Voltage   1.2V

Tested Speed     2400MHz

SPD Latency      9-9-9-24

SPD Speed        2400MHz

SPD Voltage      1.2V

Speed Rating     PC4-19200 (2400MHz)

- Intel Product Compatibility Tool for Intel NUC Kit NUC7PJYH(updated 2018-08-16)

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=126137

Memory Modules

Manufacturer    Description     Part Number           Results Type

Crucial         4GB 2400 MHz    CT4G4SFS824A.C8FADP   Intel Validated

Corsair         8GB 2400 MHz    CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16   Intel Validated

Please advise on how/what can I make it work.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
          Caser

Hi,

Have you ever change to another memory slot? And which BIOS version you use?

BR,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
            @MAN

Hi,

Thanks for checking/help!

I did tried both memory slots, one at a time, no luck there.

The NUC had initially BIOS Version 0027, I performed the BIOS upgrade to version 0042; this is the message I got during the BIOS upgrade process:

Flashing motherboard firmware:

Current revision:        JYGLKCPX.86A.0027.2018.0125.1347

Updating to revision:  JYGLKCPX.86A.0042.2018.0718.1300

BIOS upgrade went out fine, without issues and the new version was reported on subsequent power on.

Also performed the "reset to factory default settings" operation prior to and after performing the bios upgrade.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
              N.Scott.Pearson

If the module doesn't work in your NUC, get it replaced. It doesn't matter whether it is on the compatibility list and it doesn't matter whether it works and passes tests in another PC. If it doesn't work here, then it doesn't. It's simple; get it replaced. If you get a second one and it too doesn't work, then we can talk about whether there is an issue in your NUC base unit.

...S

• 4. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
                @MAN

This is not helping, consider another way of saying the same(which is also not helpful):

If the NUC doesn't work with the verified module, get the it replaced. It doesn't matter whether it is on the compatibility list and it doesn't matter whether it works with other RAM modules. If it doesn't work here, then it doesn't. It's simple; get it replaced. If you get a second NUC and it too doesn't work, then we can talk about whether there is an issue in your RAM module.

Replacing the RAM module si not an option, money have been spent already.

Replacing the NUC migth be an option(still under warranty),

but would like/prefer first to find out for sure which is the problem here,

not spend more money chasing for a possible solution.

Best regards

• 5. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
                  leonmerts

Just for verification, you only used one Dimm in the system and not both (8 GB + 4 GB)?

The NUC only supports up to 8 GB total.

Besides that it can still be a faulty Dimm module. The notebook you tested it in only runs DDR4 memory up to 2133 MHz (or LPDDR3-1866, DDR3L-1600) while the NUC uses the DDR4 2400 MHz.

Regards,

Leon Merts

• 6. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
                    @MAN

Hi,

Yes, like I initially said("The NUC fails to start using the single 8GB RAM module"), I went by the specs and tried using a single 8GB module, not 8GB + 4GB.

FYIW, chosed this particular module for being rated 2400MHz CL9 and available in my region.

At the momment I'm not excluding either possibility: a faulty DIMM module or a faulty NUC unit, as I don't know/have other means of checking it.

The notebook I used to test(memtest) the 8GB module did used it at only 2133MHz(not its max speed - 2400MHz), 2133 being notebook's best capable speed.

The NUC is also supporting DDR4 2133MHz RAM modules and since the BIOS doesn't have the option to configure the used RAM frequency,

I guess/expect it to autodetect and use the best it can use...

At the moment I might try to upgrade once again the BIOS(noticed a new version - 0044, available since 8/21/2018).

Other than that I'm out of ideas on how could I make it work or pinpoint which one is at fault.

Thank you for checking and best regards!

• 7. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
                      N.Scott.Pearson

I am not saying purchase more memory; I am saying replace the memory! You can get the DIMM replaced just as easily as the NUC. You should be able to do it through the storefront where you bought it from (i.e. return it as defective) or, if you've fiddled around for too long, then do an RMA with the DIMM manufacturer.

...S

• 8. Re: Intel NUC7PJYH Unable to Boot Intel Validated Memory CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16
                        @MAN

Hi,

Need to make a correction to something wrote above, meant to write I choose this RAM module for being rated CL16, not CL9.

> "FYIW, chosed this particular module for being rated 2400MHz CL9 CL16 and available in my region."

Getting back on the RAM module, managed yesterday to try/test it(single module) in another laptop - Lenovo Legion Y520 - Intel i7-7700HQ CPU.

The laptop used the RAM module to run memtest and Windows10 without issues, runnning it just fine at 2400 MHz.

At this moment, based on the current facts, I can only conclude some service time is required for the NUC unit.

I'll get back with the results.