Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D435 connect cameras via cable to depth module

HDiet
Beginner

Hello,

I have a project where I need stereo-imaging. The realSense d435 seems to be perfect for this, but unfortunately this device is too wide. Is there a possibility to rip out the two cameras from the depth module and connect them with a cable to this board again? I know, that I have to calibrate the d435 again, because the distance between the cameras are different.

best regards

Hanz

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hanzdieter1,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense D435 camera.

If you are interested in a less wide RealSense Product, you can check out RealSense D430 module(the module used in Intel RealSense D435 camera), which is 70.70mm. You can find more information about the RealSense D430 module on the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Datasheet.pdf datasheet, at pages 32, dimensions at page 39 and mechanical drawings at 98.

Please note that the main difference between the Intel RealSense D430 module and the Intel RealSense D435 camera is that the D435 contains also a RGB sensor, which the module does not have included.

Please let me know if I can provide you any other information!

Kindest regards,

Eliza
0 Kudos
HDiet
Beginner

Hello Eliza,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the D430 is also too wide. My space is limited to a wide of 40mm max..

Best regards,

Hanz

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hanzdieter1,

We recommend using the RealSense products as they have been sold.

The main reason behind this is that the Depth Module D430 requires the Vision Processor D4 Board to work, alongside with a USB Type-C cable and an Interposer. Given this, any change made on any of the components mentioned will have an impact on the outcome.

You can see the relationship between the Depth Module and the Vision Processor in the datasheet, at page number 45, Figure 3-11. Depth Module Connector Orientation and Pin Position.

Please let me know if you have further questions!

Kindest regards,

Eliza
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Hanz,

I agree with Eliza, cutting up the camera's boards and making the connections with cables instead of board connections may be very difficult. It is not necessarily impossible - hardware "modders" often cut up the boards of videogames consoles, for example, and arrange large boards into vertical stacks of smaller cut-up boards so that they can fit in a handheld casing. However, you should only attempt it if you can afford to write off the cost of the camera if the project doesn't work out.

0 Kudos
HDiet
Beginner

Hello Eliza,

the image attached shows what I mean. So the question is, if there is a chance to release the 2 cameras from the depth board (how are they connected to this board, with a socket?) and connect them via cable back to this board. Then I could place the two cameras closer together and they would fit into my application.

Best regards

Hanz

0 Kudos
HDiet
Beginner

Hello MartyG,

thank you for your answer. So the only thing I can do, is to try it out.

0 Kudos