Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

CPU Usage suddenly high: i5-4690K

RLair
Novice

Good Morning,

So I moved recently and took my custom built PC with me. Suddenly it's lagging even doing minor processes such as opening a new tab in Chrome. The only new hardware it is connect to is the internet.

So far I have:

-Ruled out an internet issue by trying processes offline, with and without an internet connection.

-Ruled out an issue with the video card by disconnecting it and running the computer with just the processor.

-Scanning using Malwarebytes, no issues.

-Removing and reseating the processor.

-Removing and replacing the battery on the motherboard

-Checking what programs are hogging CPU space, it's not one program, rather many of them spiking.

As I type this I have a youtube video running, my CPU is fluctuating from 50-100%. Memory is at 23% is that helps. Heat is hovering around 50 Degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RLair
Novice

All that and a simple Windows Update solved it. Have been putting it off for about 6 month because my boot drive was too full, finally deleted enough, updated, and my usage is back to normal. But does this mean Windows was throttling my computer speed? Might have been a known issue but I have been putting off that update for ages and the issue only appeared a few days ago.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rlaird: We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the memory RAM? Please provide the quantity of sticks and the speed of them.

Which Windows version are you using?

Did you test the PC using just one memory stick at the time?

We do have a tool that is called Intel® Processor Diagnostics tool, it does an overall test on the unit, if the processor passed the test then it should be working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

By any chance, do you have the option to test your processor on a different board, or test your board with a different processor?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
RLair
Novice

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate

Ram: 2 XPG V2 DRAM stick 8 GB each

Using Windows 10

I ran them Intel Processor Diagnostics tool and everythign looks good, I have to go but I will test again with 1 memory stick and get back to you.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You know, moving PCs around can cause all sorts of issues. Whenever I do so, I go back in and reset (or reseat) all connections, just to be sure that everything is ok from the shakeup that occurred.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RLair
Novice

Thanks! It didn't help this issue but I move around a lot and this sound like best practice when it comes to this things.

0 Kudos
RLair
Novice

Hi Alberto,

I have now tested the computer with each stick in individually and unfortunately, this did not affect the issue.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would try removing the cpu fan and redoing the thermal paste. I know you said you reseated the processor, but I would try again.

Doc

0 Kudos
RLair
Novice

Will do later tonight. Can the thermal paste application affect performance even while maintaining good temperatures? I'll try reseating the whole thing again all the same.

0 Kudos
RLair
Novice

I should also say, I unfortunately do not have a second motherboard.

0 Kudos
RLair
Novice

All that and a simple Windows Update solved it. Have been putting it off for about 6 month because my boot drive was too full, finally deleted enough, updated, and my usage is back to normal. But does this mean Windows was throttling my computer speed? Might have been a known issue but I have been putting off that update for ages and the issue only appeared a few days ago.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it fixed. Regarding windows 10 updates, who knows what MS does to mess with users. If your drive was very full, it could have been thrashing and trying to find enough contiguous space to do work.

Doc