1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 10:39 PM by Intel Corporation

HDR kills VR

hubick

Hi,

I recently purchased a new HDR TV (Samsung QLED w FreeSync) for use with my NUC8i7HVK.

The problem is, if I enable "HDR and WCG" in the Windows 10 Display settings, my Samsung Odyssey VR headset no longer works.

If I plug in the headset, the computer recognizes everything as normal, and I can even see the headset tracking working fine (mirrored on the main screen), but the headset screen itself remains black.

Disabling HDR in Windows makes the headset work fine again.

My hunch is that the video driver might be attempting to send an HDR signal to the headset as well, which is outside it's supported signal range?

Samsung said HDR works for them, but I assume that's using a different GPU.

Radeon Software Version 18.7.1. Bios 0048.

Anyone else running VR+HDR on their NUC?

Much Thanks!

• 1. Re: HDR kills VR
          Al Hill

Download and run this utility, and attach the results:

Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Then, one of the Intel support engineers will be able to assist you.

Doc

• 2. Re: HDR kills VR
            hubick

Thanks Al.

• 3. Re: HDR kills VR
              hubick

Interesting that the Intel GPU lists display properties that correspond to the Odyssey...

Refresh Rate - Current:"90 Hz"

Resolution:"2880 X 1600"

I wonder if I should try disabling the Intel GPU in the BIOS. That wouldn't really explain how it was working fine before, and toggling HDR on/off breaks/fixes it :-/

• 4. Re: HDR kills VR
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello hubick,
                Thank you for contacting our community forums.
                Based on your report, we noticed few things that we would like you to update.
                First, let’s start with the BIOS. Your current version is 0048, so please update the unit to the Version: 0049 (Latest).
                Here is the download link for the BIOS:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28073/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143
                You can update the BIOS following these instructions:
                https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html
                Once that is done, we would like you to test the latest Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for the Intel® NUC 8i7HVK, version .6229 (Latest) since your current version is .6194, and then reinstall the latest Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 (Version: 18.7.1)
                First, we will need you to uninstall the current graphic drivers that your system has, until the basic Microsoft*display driver is exposed (please make sure that you will do it with no internet access)
                In order to do it, please follow these steps:
                Open the Device Manager: Press the Windows key and the X key together, select Device Manager
                Expand the Display Adapters section.
                Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
                Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
                Follow the same steps for the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver
                Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
                The system must go through a restart to complete the uninstall process.
                If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in device manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' or similar. If not, repeat steps 1 through 6.
                After that, for troubleshooting purposes please install the Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for the Intel® NUC 8i7HVK found here:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28079/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-the-Intel-NUCs-NUC8i7HxKx?product=126143
                Then proceed with the Radeon ™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28080/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-the-Intel-NUCs-NUC8i7HxKx?v=t
                After the installation, restart your system and test if the issue is still present.
                I hope this helps, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,
                Diego S.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: HDR kills VR
                  Intel Corporation

Hello hubick,
                  We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.
                  Please don’t hesitate on contacting us back.
                  I hope to hear from you soon.
                  Best Regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: HDR kills VR
                    hubick

Hi,

I finally had time to upgrade to BIOS 0050, remove all graphics drivers, and do a clean install of Intel driver 25.20.100.6323, and Vega driver 18.9.1 (24.20.13017.1009).

The problem remains unchanged, and my Odyssey still only works when "HDR and WCG" is disabled in the Windows 10 Display settings.

• 7. Re: HDR kills VR
                      Intel Corporation

Hello hubick,
                       Thank you for posting again in our Intel ® Community.
                      I would like to investigate deeper your issue now that we have the latest report from your current system.
                      In order to work on the issue replication, please go ahead and provide us with the Required information for reporting Graphics issues as specified here.
                      Regards,
                      Diego Sanchez Campos.
                      Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
                      Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

• 8. Re: HDR kills VR
                        hubick

I believe, between my original posting, and the SSU report previously attached, that I have already provided that information, and everything needed to reproduce the problem.

If anyone reading has an HDR display and Windows MR headset, I would welcome reports if it's working for you or not.

Much Thanks.

• 9. Re: HDR kills VR
                          Intel Corporation

Hello hubick,
                          Thank you for your response.
                          We are currently investigating the issue that you reported with the details that we have so far.
                          I will reach you back as soon as possible
                          Regards,
                          Diego Sanchez Campos.

• 10. Re: HDR kills VR
                            Intel Corporation

Hello hubick
                            Thank you for your patience.
                            As shared in my previous posts, in order to replicate/investigate your issue we will need to gather more system details.
                            If you do not mind, please provide us with the required information for reporting Graphics issues as specified here
                            Please make sure that you provide:
                            TV full Model and Serial number, VR Model, display cables used, and model for all other input devices (wired + wireless) that are present in your setup.
                            As well,  make sure that on the TV, go to Settings > Picture > Expert Settings or Picture Options > HDMI UHD Color > turn on HDMI UHD Color for ports the ports that you want, also it should show a list of available ports already HDMI UHD Color enabled.
                            In addition, please proved an screenshot of the current graphic settings from the app that you are using (Windows Display or HD Graphics)

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

• 11. Re: HDR kills VR
                              hubick

Turn on UHD color? Display cables?

Please read what I wrote again. UHD works. The headset works. But the headset stops working when UHD is enabled.

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time providing info about cables and duplicating SSU data until someone confirms their WMR headset works with Windows HDR enabled on their AMD based NUC.

• 12. Re: HDR kills VR
                                Intel Corporation

Hello hubick,
                                Thank you for your response.
                                I understand.
                                I will keep your thread open so other user can provide feedback if necessary.
                                Regards,
                                Diego Sanchez Campos.

• 13. Re: HDR kills VR
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello hubick, 

I was researching this issue and I see many users reporting this same issue over many different platforms. 

The only solution I found was from a user (12-04-2017 06:48 PM) on Samsung's communities of using a HDMI-to-USB Type C/Thunderbolt dongle that is 4K compatible. 
                                  HMD ODYSSEY mixed reality headset - SCREEN DOES NOT TURN ON

Are you able to contact Samsung directly to see if they have a solution?
                                  • 14. Re: HDR kills VR
                                    hubick

I don't think those users are reporting the same problem, as those black screen issues don't appear to be coupled to the enabling and disabling of Windows HDR, but rather cabling.

You also ask me if I can contact Samsung, and then link to the very thread on their forum where I did that (see last page, username also 'hubick' there) before posting here. I did follow up with them via direct message, and, as I said in my original post above, "Samsung said HDR works for them, but I assume that's using a different GPU."

Again I believe this issue is due to the AMD driver used by the NUC incorrectly sending HDR to the headset in addition to the primary display.

1 2 Previous Next