Items with no label
3335 Discussions

libopencv-dev broke with RealSense Samples Install

eepp
Beginner

I broke libopencv-dev during my install of RealSense Samples for the D200. I wanted to install realsense_ros_camera. My goal was to use it with OpenCL Caffe, which at the time was working with my laptop's built in web cam. It appears that I should not have attempted this and should have moved on to newer RealSense camera instead. I attempted to roll back by uninstalling RealSense Samples but have been unable to recover libopencv-dev. Furthermore, I cannot install RZ300 drivers until libopencv-dev is fixed.

Apologies: I'm afraid that my knowledge of Ubuntu allows me to get into trouble but not always out of it. Details follow.

• Ubuntu: 16.04
  • ROS: Kinetic
  • D200 (I will upgrade to a RZ300 after I fix libopencv-dev)
  • Recent Dell Laptop

I believe I broke OpenCL Caffe and other applications when I did this during RealSense Samples install.

sudo apt install -y librealsense-object-recognition-dev librealsense-persontracking-dev librealsense-slam-dev libopencv-dev

This is what I discovered about my install.

$ aptitude search librealsense-object-recognition-dev

u librealsense-object-recognition - Intel(R) RealSense(tm) Object Recognition

$ aptitude search librealsense-persontracking-dev

u librealsense-persontracking-dev - Development files for Intel RealSense Pers

$ aptitude search librealsense-slam-dev

u librealsense-slam-dev - Development files for Intel RealSense SLAM

$ aptitude search libopencv-dev

BB libopencv-dev - development files for opencv

p libopencv-dev:i386 - development files for opencv

I attempted to back out by removing all the packages I installed above with:

sudo apt-get remove

Then I reinstalled libopencv-dev. It failed when it tried to unpack libopencv3.1-java.

sudo apt-get install libopencv-dev

Unpacking libopencv3.1-java (3.1.0+dfsg-1~realsense4.18) ...

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libopencv3.1-java_3.1.0+dfsg-1~realsense4.18_all.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/usr/share/java/opencv.jar', which is also in package libopencv2.4-java 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1

In retrospect it appears to be trying to install libopencv-dev 3.1 over 2.4.9 and couldn't. I don't fully understand what the problem is and did a lot of unwise things while I was trying to figure it out. I am no longer sure what my opencv status is. I understand that ROS has problems with version 3. On my other Ubuntu box it has ros-kinetic-opencv3, libopencv-dev, and libopencv2.4-java installed. I think I want to get back to that state and don't know how.

This is my current status when I attempt to install libopencv-dev.

-- BEFORE libopencv-dev INSTALL

$ aptitude search libopencv2.4-java

p libopencv2.4-java - Java bindings for the computer vision libr

~$ aptitude search libopencv3.1-java

p libopencv3.1-java - Java bindings for the computer vision libr

~$ aptitude search libopencv-dev

p libopencv-dev - development files for opencv

<s...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Do you mean you have an F200 camera, please? the D naming convention was only started with the current generation of RealSense cameras.

A process that has worked for some people when failing to reinstall OpenCV after an uninstall is:

1. Uninstall OpenCV 3.3.1

2. try

$ sudo apt-get -f install

3. Use this instruction:

$ apt-get purge libhighgui-dev

0 Kudos
eepp
Beginner

Thanks! I'll try this.

The camera is actually a R200. It is part of a TurtleBot3 kit. See http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/platform/turtlebot3/specifications/# hardware-specifications TurtleBot3 . Apologies.

0 Kudos
eepp
Beginner

This didn't fix the problem and broke viewing from my built-in usb cam. This is what I did.

2005 sudo apt-get remove ros-kinetic-opencv3

2006 aptitude search opencv | grep ^i

2007 sudo apt-get -f install

2008 aptitude search libhighgui-dev

2010 sudo apt-get purge libhighgui-dev

2011 sudo apt-get install ros-kinetic-opencv3

2014 sudo apt-get install libopencv-dev

This is the status. I don't know what the "B" means in the context of "iB".

~$ aptitude search ros-kinetic-opencv3

i ros-kinetic-opencv3 - OpenCV 3.x

p ros-kinetic-opencv3:i386 - OpenCV 3.x

~$ aptitude search libopencv-dev

iB libopencv-dev - development files for opencv

~$ aptitude search libopencv3.1-java

iBA libopencv3.1-java - Java bindings for the computer vision libr

~$ aptitude search libopencv2.4-java

p libopencv2.4-java - Java bindings for the computer vision libr

Notice that libopencv-dev and libopencv3.1-java did not get installed correctly. I was hoping it would install libopencv2.4-java instead because that is what my other Ubuntu system has installed on it.

Do you need more detail?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the extra information. I'm very sorry that your situation has not improved.

I am not an expert on the workings of Ubuntu, unfortunately as my main experience is with Windows. If your Ubuntu installation has got in as much of a tangle as you say then it may be easier just to wipe and reinstall Ubuntu, and then OpenCV and Librealsense, from the beginning.

Alternatively, you could post a help request over on the RealSense GitHub, where the RealSense developers and engineers reside. To open a new case, click on the 'New issue' button the link below. Good luck!

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues Issues · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

0 Kudos