14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 5:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Multiple Monitor Mode not working...

wmc840

I have Windows 10, on an HP, with Intel HD Graphics 5500, trying to connect an HP screen to my laptop via HDMI cable connected to the second screen and the laptop. When I right click on the desktop, and left click Graphics Properties, it opens the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. I click on Display, and Multiple Displays, and it won't let me do anything other than Single Display. I press the windows key and P simultaneously, and click Extend, and it doesn't do anything. According to intel.com, "All Intel® graphics products support extended desktop mode across two displays." I find this extremely hard to believe, given my difficulty with this particular Intel product and since others on this forum have commented on this. The connection works for another laptop I have, so I know it is NOT the cable, connection, etc. The second screen is not recognized.

• 1. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

I understand that the multi monitor is not working properly.

Regarding this, we will need more information of the system, please provide us with an Intel ® System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Also, have you tried connecting the system to another monitor? What is the model of the monitor(s) you have tried? 

Let me know please.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
            wmc840

I sent the report via Customer Support

• 3. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
              Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

Thank you for your response.

I was reviewing the report you submitted and it seems to have an out-dated integrated graphics driver. It is recommended to update it so we can see if this is the root of the problem. Please download the ".zip" file from the link below: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

Once downloaded, please follow the steps below to do a manual driver installation:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder. 
              2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
              3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control. 
              4 - Expand the Display adapters section. 
              5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. 
              6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
              7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
              8 - Click "Have Disk". 
              9 - Click "Browse". 
              10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics". 
              11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh"(Setup information). 
              12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed. 
              13 - Reboot your computer

When done, please try to connect the monitor again. If this does not address the problem then it could be related to the fact that your computer has hybrid graphics, we would be uncertain if the Nvidia controller is trying to give the external display or the integrated graphics. It is highly recommended to discuss this with the manufacturer of the system so they can guide you the best way.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                wmc840

Thank you, David, for taking the time to respond. I installed the new driver without success. I still cannot access the second monitor. I will try a USB connection instead of the HDMI port.

• 5. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                  wmc840

I have also updated the NVIDIA driver. Still no change.

• 6. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                    Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

In this case, what I can recommend you to do is to contact the manufacturer of the system to check if it is more related to a hardware problem. Also because of the fact that your system has Hybrid graphics, the installation must be done in a certain way.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                    David V

• 7. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                      Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to contact the manufacturer? 

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                      David V

• 8. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                        wmc840

Still not working. Here is what the manufacturer (HP) suggested:

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
                        • Have you made any software or hardware changes?
                        • Search for Device Manager, click the top result to open the experience.
                        • Expand the Display adapters category.

If you continue to face the issue, follow the below steps. 

1. Open Start.
                        2. Search for Device Manager, and click the top result to open the experience.
                        3. Expand the Display adapters category.
                        4. Restart your computer.
                        5. Open Device Manager again.

Check whether the issue is resolved if the issue persists continue troubleshooting. 

1. Open Start.
                        2. Search for Device Manager, and click the top result to open the experience.
                        3. Expand the Display adapters category.
                        4. Click on the Driver tab.
                        5. Quick Tip: If the Roll Back Driver button is grayed out, you can't use this option. However, you might be still able to roll back from the HP support websites by downloading older versions of the driver.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Did not work.

I bot a HDMI to USB adapter. This works fine.

Below is what the Intel Control panel is showing. I think the problem is that the Intel software will not allow for the recognition of two monitors.

• 9. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                          Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

I understand that you have not been able to address the problem.

In this case, what I can now recommend you to do now is to update the Windows version to the latest one, I can see, according to the Intel ® System Support Utility report you have provided me, that the version you have is the Build 10240 which is a really old Windows 10 build.

It is important to update Windows because the latest drivers have been tested with the latest O.S builds.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                          David V

• 10. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                            wmc840

The OS build now shows as 17134. Multiple monitors still not working under the Intel software....

• 11. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                              Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840

Thank you for the information.

Have you verified what is the HDMI® revision on both laptop and display? This could be causing an incompatibility on the connection.  

Hope this help.

Best Regards,
                              Leonardo C.

• 12. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                                wmc840

How do I get this information?

• 13. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

I was checking and in this case, in order to get the information you will need to check both the specifications of the system, as well as the monitor's. This information could be online or else, you can contact the different manufacturers and check with them directly.

This is important because the monitor could not be recognizing the signal sent by the computer via HDMI 1.3 for example. 

Regards,
                                  David V

• 14. Re: Multiple Monitor Mode not working...
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello wmc840,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                                    David V