Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

VROC Raid10 for Non-Bootable use

JHunt9
Beginner

Hi

I'd like some guidance creating a VROC enabled raid10 array that doesn't need to be bootable. Specs:

MB: Asus X299-WS Sage/10G

CPU: 7900X

Drives: Seeking compatibility guidance. Looking at 4* M.2 in Asus Hyper card or equivalent.

There appears to be a lot of contradictory or incomplete information out there, so apologies if this seems familiar. I understand(please confirm) that a bootable array needs intel data center drives and a vroc key. Not sure of exact models. What isn't clear is what is possible in terms of non-bootable RAID10 using VROC and the required components. It will be used for critical applications and serving media, with no OS on the array. Ideally I'd end up with a ~1TB raid10 array. I don't mind which drives I end up with, but the point would be to get drives capable of >4GB/s seq reads.

Exactly which parts are required for this to work? Is there any assurance that it will work at all?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LAlli
Beginner

Asus HYPER M.2 X16 CARD works only following mainboard's if you try to use on ws sage it won't work.

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME

ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX

ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING

PRIME X299-DELUXE

PRIME X299-A

TUF X299 MARK 1

TUF X299 MARK 2

Please note that VROC Only supports following sdd's that means you cannot use Samsung 970EVO M.2 even you do you can't make them RAID they will be seen 4 separate drives which is useless. I still don't know why INTEL doesn't support 970EVO I hope it will be supported list in the future.

INTEL VROC Support SSD's list as of 15-8-2018

All Intel® SSDs for Data Center and Professional, with NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express)

3rd party SSDs:

• Samsung* SM951, SM961, PM953, PM961, PM963

• Toshiba* XG3, PX04PMB

• Micron* 9100

• Lenovo* Atsani

• Huawei* ES3600P

Whether bootable or not if you do something other than Raid 0 you need VROC Key I use INTEL ssd's therefore vrocissdmod is enough for me if you wanna use thirdparty sdd's you would required to buy standard or premiumkey.

Intel® VROC Standard: RAID 0/1//10; 3rd Party SSD Support

Intel® VROC Premium: RAID 0/1/5/10; 3rd Party SSD Support

Intel® VROC Intel® SSD Only: RAID 0/1/5/10; No 3rd Party SSD Support

You just need to buy 1x HYPER M.2 X16 CARD and 4x 1TB m.2 760P INTEL M.2. In bios choice RAID 10 that's it, speed is 8/GB/s each M.2 Raid 10. You will see roughly 5 or 6K/Mb in total

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JHunt9
Beginner

Thanks Danone,

My only requirements are really that I want over 4GB/s with redundancy and not OS RAID. Ideally I'd find a hardware raid card that supports 4 m.2's in raid 10 but currently the only ones I can find don't support trim. The SAGE 10G I'm also pretty settled on. Any config of drives/vroc key to achieve this is fine, but I want reliable confirmation from intel that it's going to work. I noticed that the ASRock Ultra Quad M.2 card doesn't have motherboard compatibility listed, perhaps that could work with the sage? Weird that a competitor's product may be more likely to work with an ASUS MB, but then again the sage is rather new and it might just be a case of the hyper card's compatibility sheet not being updated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Blackburst,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand you are seeking compatibility guidance about devices manufactured by Intel® that be compatible with an Asus Hyper card or equivalent. If we inferred correctly, we would like to inform you that the Intel® SSD devices are not tested or validated to work with third-party adapters (PCI-E, USB or others).

This being said we cannot assure you that this configuration will work or not.

We hope you find this information useful.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JHunt9
Beginner

Thanks Josh, but that's not quite what I'm after. I'm after ANY way to achieve this that Intel can vouch for. Doesn't have to be asus card, could even be pcie drives I don't mind. I just need those speeds with redundancy and not os raid 10. How can I make this work?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Blackburst,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_QVL/ Memory / Device Support information available on your motherboard manufacturer site the compatible Intel® products are the following:

SATA 6G

Intel 540s Series 240GB

SSDSC2BB016T7ES

SSDSC2BB012T701 948998

SSDSC2BB960G701 945407

SSDSC2KG480G701 956904

SSDSC2KG240G701 956903

SSDPE2MX020T701 943972

SSDPEDMX020T701 943974

PCIe

INTEL

INTEL-OPTANE-MEMPEK1W032GA-32GB (For NVMe mode)

SSD P3X2 16G M2 2280 OPTANE // MEMPEK1J016GA/0400/960268 (For NVMe mode)

SSD P3X2 32G M2 2280 OPTANE// MEMPEK1J032GA (For NVMe mode)

SSD P3X2 64G M2 2280 OPTANE// MEMPEK1J064GA (For NVMe mode)

*Please feel free to check on https://ark.intel.com https://ark.intel.com for each product specifications and features.

From our http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage Intel® Product Compatibility Tool your Asus* board is not listed as tested or validated for the majority of the products listed above this does not mean that our products are not going to work with your board it does mean that the validation process had been done by Asus and we cannot provide you with information related to benchmarks or performance and we advise you to consult the motherboard manufacturer.

As stated on your http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage motherboard manual

* Intel® VROC is supported via RSTe, and Intel® VROC_HW_key. VROC_HW_Key is purchased separately. NVMe RAID type and function will depend on the Intel® VROC_HW_key installed.

For further information on how to set up your RAID and the options available refer yourself to the chapter 3 of your manual "Creating RAID" guide.

One more time we recommend you to consult with Asus before purchasing any product to check about the expected performance and behavior with the different HHDs listed on the https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_QVL/ Memory / Device Support list.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Blackburst,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
dpede
Beginner

Hey guys am I right In saying I can add the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe VROC RAID Card for to my Asus X299 deluxe with skylake x 7800x cpu and two

256GB Intel SSD 760p Series, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.1 and I will get Raid 0 without an intel vroc key

Cheers DEREK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello delpy8,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand you are seeking compatibility guidance related to the Intel® SSD 760p Series (256GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC) if we inferred correctly, please, read and review the information below:
  • The Intel® SSD devices are not tested or validated to work with third-party adapters (PCI-E, USB or others)like the ASUS* HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe.
  • Based in the http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage Intel® Product Compatibility Tool your Asus* X299 deluxe motherboard has not been tested or validated to be used with your Intel® SSD 760p Series.
  • We advise you to contact your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Asus* in your case to check the compatibility and setup of your products.
This being said we cannot assure you that this configuration will work or not.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello delpy8,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos