1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 6:25 PM by Intel Corporation

Problem using Optane Memory to cache Secondary 3Tb HDD

DougieR

I have recently built my new system using the following:-

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 motherboard with latest F7 BIOS update.

Intel i7-8700K CPU

Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb V-Nand M.2 PCIe SSD (GPT drive using EFI and Windows 10 OS partitions)

Toshiba DT01ACA300 3Tb HDD GPT disk with 2 x data storge partitions (non system drive)

Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 1803 with all updates applied.

I imaged the Windows OS partition from my previous PC and due to the amount of software installed and configured, I do not want to start again from scratch.

Having read this Intel article: Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory I was sure that I could configure my existing system to use the Intel 16Gb Optane Memory M.2 board to speed up my secondary GPT (non OS) HDD storage drive.  I fitted the Optane board and went to install the Optane Software.  All I get is the following message: "Unsupported System Drive.  Intel Optane Memory does not support system installed on PCIe disk".  I have also tried installing the Intel RST software but on running, it advises to download and install the later Optane Memory software.

Anyone know a way to make this work.  If not I will send the board back to Amazon for a refund!!!

• 1. Re: Problem using Optane Memory to cache Secondary 3Tb HDD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello DougieR,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Based on the information you shared with us:

• You have an SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB and you are receiving the following error from the Optane software: "Unsupported System Drive.  Intel Optane Memory does not support system installed on PCIe disk". 

If we inferred correctly the reasons that your Intel® Optane memory is not working is the following:

Based on the Intel® Optane™ Memory Installation Guide section 1.2Minimum Requirements for Intel® Optane memory you can read the following:

- Slow media (disk to be accelerated): Only a single pass-through disk that is the active
          system/boot drive can be accelerated. The acceleration of RAID volumes or other multiple
          disk configurations is not supported. Please see below for supported slow media options.

• SATA HDD – single pass-through
          • SATA SSD - single pass-through
          • SSHD - single pass-through

Since your OS drive is an NVME it cannot be accelerated.

Based on the Software and Platform Support for Intel® Optane™ Memory your system may need a BIOS update to support secondary/data drive acceleration:

Desktop Processor FamilySupported SKUsSupported ChipsetsSupported Driver Version
          8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 ProcessorsIntel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor
             Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-8700T Processor
          Intel® Z370 Chipset*
             Intel® H370 Chipset
             Intel® B360 Chipset
             Intel® Q370 Chipset
          16.0.2 or later
             *System BIOS update required. Contact Motherboard Vendor.

• As you mentioned

I imaged the Windows OS partition from my previous PC and due to the amount of software installed and configured, I do not want to start again from scratch.

-Our only recommendation is to backup and to reinstall the OS following the guide below:

*Please, notice that this guide was created using Intel® products only and we cannot assure you that it may work if you have components from different manufacturers.

In order to perform a Windows fresh installation and a secondary/data drive acceleration in a system with a primary/booting NVME drive with a system BIOS that is compatible with secondary/data drive acceleration and starting in RST premium follow the steps below:

Intel recommends that a full and verified backup of data be performed before attempting to apply this process; see "The Importance of a Backup Solution" at
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000007914.html.

•           Access to your system BIOS and access to the following settings:

Peripherals / Intel®RST RAID driver

Once here check if the NVME drive and the Intel® Optane™ Memory are detected properly.

•           Turn your PC off and disconnect all the other hard drive devices from your system including the Optane and check that your NVME drive is the only storage device in the system.
          •           Start the Windows setup process and select the Custom: Install Windows only(advance option) and select the Load driver option:

•           Download the driver from the following link and unzip the file on the USB thumb drive:
          https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27985/eng/f6flpy-x64.zip

•           Click on browse and select the folder where the drivers are located and the installer is going to load the list of available drivers.

•           You are going to be offered with 2 option, please, select the Intel® chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

•           After loading the necessary drivers it should show your NVME storage device.

•           Continue the setup process as usual by selecting the drive that you want to use as primary and accept if the system requests to create more partitions.

•           After the setup process is completed boot to your new Windows installation and completes the required information to access your desktop and turn your PC off
          •           Connect your Intel® Optane™ Memory and the secondary SATA drive that you want to accelerate and turn your system back on.

•           Check on the Disk manager tool that your drives are detected properly.

•           Download and install the following software:
          https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27985/eng/SetupOptaneMemory.exe

•           Restart your system as requested at the end of the setup process.

•           Access to the Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and check the acceleration settings.

We hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
          Intel Customer Support