This content has been marked as final. Show 1 reply
This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation
Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.
Based on the information you shared with us:
- You have an SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB and you are receiving the following error from the Optane software: "Unsupported System Drive. Intel Optane Memory does not support system installed on PCIe disk".
If we inferred correctly the reasons that your Intel® Optane memory is not working is the following:
Based on the “Intel® Optane™ Memory Installation Guide” section 1.2“Minimum Requirements for Intel® Optane memory” you can read the following:
- Slow media (disk to be accelerated): Only a single pass-through disk that is the active
system/boot drive can be accelerated. The acceleration of RAID volumes or other multiple
disk configurations is not supported. Please see below for supported slow media options.
- SATA HDD – single pass-through
- SATA SSD - single pass-through
- SSHD - single pass-through
Since your OS drive is an NVME it cannot be accelerated.
Based on the “Software and Platform Support for Intel® Optane™ Memory” your system may need a BIOS update to support secondary/data drive acceleration:
Desktop Processor Family Supported SKUs Supported Chipsets Supported Driver Version 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-8700T Processor
Intel® Z370 Chipset*
Intel® H370 Chipset
Intel® B360 Chipset
Intel® Q370 Chipset
16.0.2 or later
- As you mentioned
“I imaged the Windows OS partition from my previous PC and due to the amount of software installed and configured, I do not want to start again from scratch.”
-Our only recommendation is to backup and to reinstall the OS following the guide below:
*Please, notice that this guide was created using Intel® products only and we cannot assure you that it may work if you have components from different manufacturers.
In order to perform a Windows fresh installation and a secondary/data drive acceleration in a system with a primary/booting NVME drive with a system BIOS that is compatible with secondary/data drive acceleration and starting in RST premium follow the steps below:
Intel recommends that a full and verified backup of data be performed before attempting to apply this process; see "The Importance of a Backup Solution" at
• Access to your system BIOS and access to the following settings:
Peripherals / Intel®RST RAID driver
Once here check if the NVME drive and the Intel® Optane™ Memory are detected properly.
• Turn your PC off and disconnect all the other hard drive devices from your system including the Optane and check that your NVME drive is the only storage device in the system.
• Start the Windows setup process and select the Custom: Install Windows only(advance option) and select the Load driver option:
• Download the driver from the following link and unzip the file on the USB thumb drive:
• Click on browse and select the folder where the drivers are located and the installer is going to load the list of available drivers.
• You are going to be offered with 2 option, please, select the Intel® chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
• After loading the necessary drivers it should show your NVME storage device.
• Continue the setup process as usual by selecting the drive that you want to use as primary and accept if the system requests to create more partitions.
• After the setup process is completed boot to your new Windows installation and completes the required information to access your desktop and turn your PC off
• Connect your Intel® Optane™ Memory and the secondary SATA drive that you want to accelerate and turn your system back on.
• Check on the Disk manager tool that your drives are detected properly.
• Download and install the following software:
• Restart your system as requested at the end of the setup process.
• Access to the Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and check the acceleration settings.
We hope you find this information useful.
Intel Customer Support