9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2012 9:23 AM by intelusername

Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology

ablank

I recently upgraded my BIOS and the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID)  driver to version 9.6.0.1014 and now my disks on the secondary raid volume will spin-up and down when I access this raid volume. This issue happens when my computer wakes up after the first time it goes to sleep; I do not appear to have issue when I first boot my OS.  I have also had no issues before this upgrade and the disks test fine using smartctl under Linux.  Every time I try to access this volume, I experience a delay and I am concerned that this will create an issue with my drives.  Is anyone else expereincing the same issue and how can I fix this?  FYI, Intel please include more smart capabilities in your next software version!

Setup: I use 2 seperate RAID volume over 4 disks.  The first volume, which holds the OS and programs, is RAID 0 over 2 identical 500GB disks, while the second volume, which holds critical data, is RAID 1 over 2 identical 320GB disks.  The motherboard is a DP35DP and the OS is Windows 7 (64x)

• 1. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
          dwayneberry

Hi,

I have an AUSU P6T deluxe with a 4 drive raid 5 array (500GB drives) which since upgrading to 9.6.1014 (from 8.8) I am also seeing the spin up spin down issue on the array.  Now just to throw confusion into the mix I also moved from Vista 64 to windows 7 in the same process but did not rebuild or chnagethe raid as it is not the boot device.

Any info would be interesting, not really causing a problem except for lag when listening to music from this device when the devices spin down???

Thanks

• 2. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology

Same problem here. Constant spin down/up on my RAID 5 (4 x ST3500630AS) volume drives. This started happening when I upgraded Vista to Windows 7 and upgraded Intel Matrix Storage Manager to Intel RST.

• 3. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
              HiTach

I have the same problem as the OP.

Asus P6T Deluxe,BIOS 21

Windows 7 x64 installed on OCZ vertex 60GB SSD

2 x Seagate ST31000333AS 1TB drives in matrix RAID 0 + 1

2 x Samsung HD204UI 2TB drives in RAID 1

Intel Rapid Storage technology 9.6.0.1014

Intel Matrix Option ROM v8.0.0.1038 ICH10R wRAID5

Both drives sets work normally from first boot as long as computer is in use.

After resume from sleep or hibernation they frequently spin up and down disrupting user experience.

Please post any news or tips.

• 4. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
                PeterUK

Try creating a new power plan with never turn off hard disk set.

Below is for windows 7.

Start > Control Panel > change “view by” to Large icons (you see why) > Power Options > Create power plan > have it to balanced or performance and name it > next then create > with your name of this plan selected click change plan settings > change advanced power settings > + hard disk > + turn off hard disk after > change the minutes all the way down till it say never then apply ok.

• 5. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
                  HiTach

Hello Peter, thanks for the quick reply.

I had already set the spin down to Never this afternoon. So far this evening things look better, even after resuming from Hibernate and Sleep.

I shall post back after a week or two when I am more sure of the results.

• 6. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
                    Devolved

I am seeing the same issue, which started after moving from MSM to RST - I am also trying the solution below to see if it is related to sleep/hibernate.

Setup (not terribly detailed):

Windows 7

Asus Commando motherboard

Intel SSD as boot drive

2x1TB Samsung drives on RAID 1

• 7. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
                      HiTach

Hello Peter - thanks so much, the Power Advanced Setting, Turn Hard Drive off after xx minutes was the culprit.

Both my Samsung and Seagate RAID pairs have performed well since I changed this setting to 0 (Never).

I use both Sleep and Hibernate regularly.

• 8. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology

I had the same problem with Samsung HD103SJ drives as RAID 1 + Intel DP35DP board. Changing the windows setting (Win 7 64-bit) didn't help. I just uninstalled the Intel storage driver (through standard Windows 'uninstall program'), and everything is back to normal.

• 9. Re: Disk frequent spin-up and down issues with latest RST technology
                          intelusername

I have a P8Z68-V LE motherboard and two Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM running in Raid 1. I have a ssd but I am NOT utilizing the 'smart response caching' (I installed my os directly to the ssd). I noticed that one (or maybe both) drives would do a spinup->beep loop when waking from sleep, and the only way to fix it was a reboot. The drives seemed to be wroking fine as long as the machine never went to sleep (I ran a windows scan/repair and a 'verify' scan from the intel rapid storage utility, both came up cleen).

Anyway, I finally came across this post, and sure enough the above suggestion did the trick for me. Once I uninstalled the "intel rapid storage software", my drives were abel to wake properly from sleep. Did I ever even need to install that thing? I think everything was configured from the boot raid menu right?

The only problem is - I kinda liked being able to keep an eye on the status of my raid array while in windows (I know I get a status update when booting, but I reboot very rarely). Is there a updated version of intels 'rapid storage utility' that doesnt suck? Or is there some other way to monitor my raid array from windows?