Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Frequent FPS drops in GTA 5 with HD4600

APrad5
Beginner

I have been playing games for a long time now, but after updating to the latest drivers of HD4600 I am seeing flickering and FPS drops with FPS going from 30FPS to 5-10FPS for sometime and back to 30FPS. Also to get the screen tear and flicker issue in game I changed the Direct X in game to 11 from 10.1 and had to switch on Vsync. But even then the drops are frequent.

My Config,

Asus H81M-CS

Intel i5 4460 3.2GHz

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

Have attached Test results from the Diagnostic tools.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you are experiencing some issues after installing the latest graphics update for Intel® HD Graphics 4600. I would like to assist you.

First, I would like to get more information about your system. Please scan your system using the DxDiag tool and attach the report.

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
APrad5
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, have added dxdiag as requested..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

Thank you for your response.

To gather more information about this issue, I will attempt to replicate it using the same graphics controller and driver. I will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
APrad5
Beginner

Sure..Do let me know if you need anything from my end..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

Please fill out the following information and attach it to this thread along with the DxDiag* report and the DispDiag report.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Please provide this information about the game settings, too.

-Game settings: high or low. (If possible, you can attach pictures)

-When do the frame drops occur?

-Are you using a specific program to show the game's FPS?

-Does this happen when you play the game' Story Mode or online?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

By getting more information about your system and game configuration, we can attempt to replicate this issue to provide useful troubleshooting steps.

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
APrad5
Beginner

Sorry have been away for a while. So I updated the HD 4600 drivers to latest one from the beta version which was released issues related to causing screen tear on games and that was resolved in beta.. But the latest driver is causing the screen tear and only can make it go away with turning Vsync on , on all games otherwise theres shadowing and screen tear along with drops here and there for 5-10seconds..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

Thank you for your reply.

The behavior you are describing, screen tearing, is expected when the monitor cannot handle a specific number of display frames. Please check the maximum refresh rate supported by your monitor and provide the monitor model, too.

This can also happen if the resolution and refresh rate are higher than this: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz. These are the settings recommended by your motherboard manufacturer.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81MCS/specifications/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81MCS/specifications/

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gamerpradosh,

Were you able to check the maximum refresh rate supported by your monitor?

Does screen tearing occur if you set the resolution and refresh rate recommended by your motherboard manufacturer?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
APrad5
Beginner

Sorry but I reverted back to beta version as I couldnt manage to play even as much I play with the FPS drops..

Also I use 1920x1080 for normal desktop use and gaming can be done only on 720p or below..And like I mentioned above for GTA I use 800x600..

Feels like adding GPU is only way out and that is the fact I gotta live with..

0 Kudos