9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 11:32 AM by elbujo

Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade

elbujo

Hi, Im creating this new thread to prevent confusion with other people solutions and suggestions:

I have a brand-new Intel NUC Kit7i5BNH, i did the Windows 10 installation and downloaded the drivers ZIP file placed on the website, the file name is Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNH_Win10-64_Drivers.20180803.zip.

I was able to install all the package of drivers without problems, the system worked fine, also I downloaded the BIOS upgrade [BNKBL357.86A], file name BN0066.BIO, saved the file to an USB. The steps that I did were:

1. Reseted the computer
      2. Press the F7 Key
      3. Selected the BN0066.BIO file
      4. Accepted the file to begin the process
      5. After hitting ENTER, the screen went blank and the computer led remained blue color for around 10 minutes

After this, the system began to alternate power up states, if power ups by itself, remains ON for around 1 minute and 30 seconds and then goes off (RED LED), then it turns ON again, and the cycle repeats itself. I did the following as troubleshooting, based on the INTEL Guides:

1. Plug the NUC to a separate HDMI capable monitor (nothing shows up on screen)
      2. Applied the 3 seconds power ON boot menu, but nothing appears on the screen
      3. Resetted the BIOS Pins from position to attempt a BIOS recovery, but nothing shows on screen
      4. Disassemble the whole computer to remove the BIOS BATTERY, the battery remained disconnected for about 5 minutes, plug it back in and still did not work.
      5. Remove the BIOS Jumper completely and tried to attempt a SLOW USB FORMAT and placed the BIO File inside, this with the intention of doing an "auto" BIOS upgrade from USB Memory stick, the system DID NOT recover, and the blank screen remains.
      6. Tried a BARE BONE Testing, in which I removed the Memory Sim and the hard drive, but the system still does not show information on the screen.

Note:

When the power button is pressed, the systems powers up and the CPU Fan starts to work, however, the system displays nothing on a screen.

Any recommendations to fix this situation, its a brand new NUC.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
          elbujo

Just to prevent confusion, this is the extended troubleshooting I did on the system per recommendations of the users:

Scenario #1:

ONE SIM OF MEMORY (4 GB) CONNECTED

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

BIOS JUMPER SETTING ON DEFAULT

NO USB ACCESSORIES CONNECTED

MONITOR ATTACHED

1. I power up the unit

2. The system changes the LED light from RED to BLUE

3. There are NO blinks or sounds

4. The system shuts down after 1 minute and 3 seconds

5. After the shut down, the system power up and repeats the cycle

6. During the whole process the monitor does not turn ON or displays information

Scenario #2:

NO MEMORY CONNECTED

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

BIOS JUMPER SETTING ON DEFAULT

NO USB ACCESSORIES CONNECTED

MONITOR ATTACHED

1. I power up the unit

2. The system changes the LED and gives three blue blinks

3. There are 3 blink sounds

4. The system shuts down after a while

6. During the whole process the monitor does not turn ON or displays information

SCENARIO #3

Followed procedure ID000005532 - BIOS Recovery by the power Button Menu

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

USB KEYBOARD ATTACHED

MONITOR ATTACHED

1. Follow the instructions with the power button

2. The led changes color as stated

3. The system does not present information on the screen

4. The keyboard does not lit up

SCENARIO #4

Followed procedure ID000005532 - BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

USB MEMORY ATTACHED (FORMATTED USING RECOMMENDED FORMAT CONFIGURATION)

MONITOR ATTACHED

BIOS JUMPER REMOVED COMPLETLY

1. Follow the instructions from steps 1 to 5

2. On step 6, the system should do the upgrade between 2 to 5 minutes, however, the system reboots itself after 1 minute and 3 seconds

3. The USB Memory stick never lits up

SCENARIO #5

Followed procedure ID000005805 - Clearing the CMOS on Intel NUC

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

MONITOR ATTACHED

BIOS JUMPER moved from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3

1. Follow the instructions from steps 1 to 4

2. On step 4, the system its unable to display information on the screen

3. The keyboard does not lit up

SCENARIO #6

Followed procedure ID000006787 - BIOS CMOS BATTERY REMOVAL

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

MONITOR ATTACHED

BIOS JUMPER moved to pins 1-2

1. Dissembled the NUC Computer

2. Removed connection for the front panel

3. Removed the battery connector from the plug and leave it un plug for a total of 25 minutes.

4. Plug the battery back in

5. Plug the monitor HDMI into the connector

6. Power up the computer

7. The systems does not display information on the screen

8. The keyboard does not lit up

SCENARIO #7

Usage of another HDMI to HDMI Monitor

NO HARD DRIVE INSTALLED

MONITOR ATTACHED with a direct HDMI to HDMI cable

BIOS JUMPER moved to pins 1-2

1. Power up the monitor and select the proper AUX Setting

2. Power up the NUC computer

3. NO INFORMATION displays on the screen

4. After 1 minute and 3 seconds the NUC reboots (cycle repeats itself)

Any other recomendation on other things I can do?

Thanks and best regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
            lw1948

1. Remove the security jumper.

2. If you have other memory module install instead the one you have used.

3. Remove all accessories from USB ports.

4. Power your NUC with all USB port empty and security jumper removed.

5. After about 1 minute, you shall see Configuration Menu, similar to the attached image.

Leon

• 3. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
              N.Scott.Pearson

My input on this process:

3. Remove all accessories from USB ports. Keep keyboard.

6. Insert USB flash disk with file BN0066.BIO on it.

7. Select F4 to perform BIOS Recovery.

You should see onscreen progress report from this process. If you don't see this, do the following:

a. Get an older USB 2.0 flash disk.

b. Reformat this flash disk on another Windows-based PC, using the FAT32 File System, with the Quick Format option disabled.

c. Copy file BN0066.BIO to foot folder of this flash disk.

d. Properly eject the flash disk.

e. Insert this flash disk into the BN NUC.

f. Repeat from Step 4 onwards.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                elbujo

Hi Leon, followed all the instructions you wrote and the behavior of the system remains the same, After 1 minute and 3 seconds, the computer reboots, on the second reboot the system remains on for more than 5 minutes, but the screen remains black and does not display anything, I attemp two itinerations of your intruction, one with nothing attached, and the second one with a keyboard (the keyboard is dead), same behavior, the systems does nothing.

Also I tried the same exercise, without the memory installed on the system, the screen never turns on or display information.

Currently I just have one DIMM DDR4 available, so, Im unable to test with other memories, the one I currently have its brand new and was able to boot the system before, the system got corrupted at the time of loading the BIOS File.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                  elbujo

Hi Scott

I used a very old Kingston 1 Gb USB 2.0 Flash drive and formatted with the QUICK OPTION DISABLED,

The status of the system remains the same, when I boot the computer, the system resets itself after 1 minute and 3 seconds, then goes off, 5 seconds later, the system boot up automatically and remains on for longer than 5 minutes. During this second reboot, the screen shows no information, its always blank, all USB ports are unpowered, I connected the keyboard on all outlets and does not lit. Also, I tested two monitor, one with a VGA to HDMI converter, and another with a HDMI to HDMI connection, the HDMI Cable in both cases its working properly, since Im able to get image when I used it in another video tool.

Any other recomendations?

• 6. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Have you done a hard CMOS reset? That is, unplugged CMOS battery from top surface of board? [Aside: Yea, I know; easier said than done.]

...S

• 7. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                      elbujo

Yes on Scenario #6 I addressed this situation, I unplug the battery for 25 minutes, and the system behaves the same. No screen activation and no keyboard action also when the system is plugged and connected.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Well, you've tried all the standard remedies. I am afraid you are going to have to have the unit replaced. To do so, you need to contact intel Customer Support directly. Here is contact information, by geography:

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

I do not recommend their forms service; I see too many complaints of it failing. Phone is best. You can also use the Intel Customer Support Chat Service, but it is offered in English only and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 9. Re: Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH does not boot or shows anything on LCD screen after attempting a BIOS 0066.BIO Upgrade
                          elbujo

Thanks to all the people that tried to help me or assist me on fixing this situation, at the end I got a SWR number for my poor NUC, I got a replacement from Intel in almost no time! Great support and response from a well known company that stands by their products.

The new systems is working fine, I will not perform a BIOS Upgrade anytime soon.

Kind regards.