4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 12:41 PM by DesmondZ

Additional WIFI - Intel RTF

DesmondZ

Hi,

I have an Intel RTF and when I fly, I use the onboard WIFI in AP mode so that I can use ground control station to connect to it.

I also notice that the WIFI driver doesn't support scanning in AP mode. For example if I want to scan the hotspot nearby, I can't do it in AP mode, I can only switch to client mode. This would be inconvenient since I still want to use ground control station to monitor the drone.

Is it possible if I use and USB WIFI and connect it to the drone through the micro USB port? I bought one which works fine on other Ubuntu 16.04 machines, but when I plug it into Intel RTF, it doesn't work and I failed to install the driver. I wonder is there any restriction of Intel RTF Board regarding USB WIFI?

Thanks!

Desmond

• 1. Re: Additional WIFI - Intel RTF
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello DesmondZ,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Ready to Fly drone.

Could you please let me know what is the WIFI USB adapter that you have purchased? 
          Also, could you please provide me the output of aero-get-version.py ?

Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,
          Eliza

• 2. Re: Additional WIFI - Intel RTF
            DesmondZ

Hi Eliza,

Thanks for your quick response!

Here's the output of aero-get-version.py

BIOS_VERSION =Aero-01.00.13
            OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS"
            AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown
            FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2
            AeroFC firmware version = 3.5.7

I have two USB WIFI in hand. One is ASUS USB-N13, the other one is Panda Wireless PAU03. When I plug them into another machine running Ubuntu 16.04.4. Both of them works fine. I use the command "lshw -C network" to see which driver they are using. And I find out they use the following drivers respectively:

driver=rtl8192cu driverversion=4.10.0-42-generic

driver=rt2800usb driverversion=4.10.0-42-generic

When I use the command "lsmod" I see that these modules are indeed loaded. However when I run command "lsmod", neither of these drivers are loaded. I try to install these drivers but I failed.

Here is the output of "lsusb" on Intel RTF regarding the two WIFI modules:

ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]

ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

If I can get either of these two working it will be great. I hope I describe my problem clearly. Let me know if you need any further information. Thanks!

Desmond

• 3. Re: Additional WIFI - Intel RTF
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello DesmondZ,

Thank you very much for the information. 

The problem that you encounter with the USB Wifi adapters must be caused by the fact that the drivers are not compatible with Aero's kernel. (4.4.76-aero-1.2)

In order to extend the WIFI range, I would recommend to check out this guide: https://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Aero-Drone-Extending-Wifi-Range/ 

Best regards,
              Eliza

• 4. Re: Additional WIFI - Intel RTF
                DesmondZ

Hi Eliza,

I'm afraid I can't use an USB WIFI then. It's good to know that.

Best,

Desmond