6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 5:19 PM by Intel Corporation

HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue

Schmelli

Hello everyone,

I own a HP Envy j013sg Notebook and after years of good service I experience more and more difficulties especially after updating some parts or Windows updates. I think it could be some general driver Problem which leads to the performance drop.

Issue #1

I'm using the Laptop for DJ'ing with Traktor DJ and a Focusrite 18i20 2nd Gen. (audiointerface) and two Traktor D2 Controller. Everything seems to be not that fast and stable like it used to be a year or two ago (maybe more) and the problems with the Audiointerface or the Controller for the DJ Software occur more often and they have that much impact that I cant use this setup in Clubs anymore. I'm afraid that maybe any little part of the System gets an update and the laptop will stutter or maybe even crash while performing my set.

I know that the Laptop has enough power for this setup. I asked Focusrite for advise because of doubt that the laptop may be too old but they said that this is none of my problems.

I had issues with freezing Controller-Displays and Laptop-Display while performing, resulting in a complete shutdown. This was at least somehow due to Graphic-Driver issues and I was able to fix it a bit. But overall the Software seems to underperform. I recognize this for example when using 4 Decks or 2 Decks and 2 Sample decks. The CPU starts working more and suddenly (without overheating) it seems to be too much and I get Audio-Dropouts but after a few minutes Lagging and f****ng up my set everything continues working like nothing happened at all. This happens sometimes after 4 hours, sometimes after 2 and sometimes after 10 minutes.

Issue #2

The second task for my Laptop is Gaming. I know that this is far away from being some good solution but due to budget cuts, because of my health, I cant spend 1000€ for a new gaming PC. So I'm playing at 1024x768 and use a Zowie xl2411 @120hz. I play only CSGO and what's wondering there is the fact that I dropped from stable ~300fps to 100-150fps. Again I think that the driver are somehow not working together so that the result is much less performance than it was.

I tried using the OEM HP drivers, windows installed drivers (worst), and looking for the newest by myself but that wasn't that good either. HP said to me I should let windows do the work but that was the worst idea. HP doesn't provide new drivers at all so I'm stuck without enough knowledge about the topic to know what I can and should do.

System Specs:

CPU:                              Intel i7-4702mq
      GPU:                              Nvidia Geforce GTX 750m | Intel HD 4600

Ram:                              16GB Ram

Drive:                            Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD
      Operating System:       Windows 10 Home

Task significance:   1) General performance for DJ'ing
                                        2) Performance while gaming
                                      [ 3) 120/144hz at higher resolution ]

Can anybody help me?

If you have any questions please ask. I try to answer them as good as I can.

Kind regards from Germany

Patrick

P.s.: Sorry in advance for any vocabulary or grammatical mistakes, English isn't my first language but feel free to correct me so I can learn from my mistakes.

P.p.s.: I hope this time I configured this right and in the right topic.

• 1. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Schmelli

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that your computer delivers poor performance. I would like to provide some information about this issue.

Because your system has an Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Processor, having the latest Microsoft Windows 10® April update (2018) is not recommended. If these issues started happening after these updates, then you can revert back to the previous Windows 10 version.

Regarding the gaming/application issues, keep in mind that some games and applications are processor intensive games/applications, so make sure your processor is working as it should be. You can run this utility to test the functionality of your processor. 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

These are also the recommended settings for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
          https://gameplay.intel.com/en-us/CPUAndGameSelected/Index/75119/642078

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
            Intel Corporation

Hello Schmelli, 

Were you able to revert back to the previous version of Windows 10?

If you still need assistance, we will be glad to assist you. 

Wanner G. 

• 3. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
              Schmelli

Thank you for you answer.

the problems started before April so I dont think this is the major issue here. Windows updated a day ago again and Im going to try it this weekend. If it is worse than before I will revert to an older version like you suggested.

I already run the Processor tool. Everything seems to be ok so far.

Regarding the gaming problem: I cant understand why it run very well in the past but it keeps getting worse with the time. Sure they add new features and other things I dont know about but I don't think they change the game so much that low end computers will start struggeling with that game.That can't be the idea of Valve in this case. Maybe I'm wrong but it isnt the logic way in my mind.

Regarding the new Windows-versions: Why doesnt windows recognize that and stops updating or at least gives me a warning that the newer versions shouldnt be installed? Windows should know which Hardware is used and check that, or is this again just a wrong thought?

Like I said I will give the newest version a try this weekend.Hope it works. I will let you know how its performing now.

• 4. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
                Intel Corporation

Hello Schmelli, 

I am writing to let you know that we will be glad to assist you if you still need assistance.

Wanner G.

• 5. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
                  Schmelli

Hello again,

the windows update improved the performance a bit. It was possible to DJ again but not as great as it was a few years ago.So it was okay but okay isn't enough. But there was another one which brought the performance back to the low end. I try to clean install the original HP drivers from 2013(at least graphics) now. I hope they work a bit better than the new ones or the drivers installed by Windows just to buy some time until next weekend.

I think I'm going to reinstall windows if I'm working on this problem it's better for me to have a really clean windows than the used one. Just a clean start without any old drivers which maybe haven't been un the right way. I don't know. The longer I'm dealing with this the more I feel like the new Windows versions are like little kids who are bragging about anything.

So which version do you recommend? I thought about Windows 8.1 maybe because back then the Laptop worked pretty good if I'm not mistaken.

But I will follow your instructions since I have almost no knowledge about the depths of Windows.This are just some of my ideas.

Also I'm thinking about Dual-Boot. I tried that a few years ago when the problems started.It worked for a few months but since then it got worse almost every update. With two Systems I could tweak every windows to the needs of the task. If I'm able to find a Driver,System combination for DJ'ing which works I would be able to keep it that way because this operating system would be only for playing and recording music, so no access to the Internet.I don't need to fear any security leaks besides USB sticks then if I got that right,right?

You see I tried a lot and I'm trying to find a solution but without success due to my missing knowledge about Windows and the interaction between drivers and what else is playing games with me. So please tell me what I can do to get the same performance again or at least a much better performance. The Laptop is pretty old already but in my mind the CPU,Ram and the rest is still pretty fast compared to new laptops so I just don't want to buy a new one if this one is still able to do the job except the software issue. I'm planing to buy a Desktop for gaming and producing but this will take some time to save some money for a high end PC. If the laptop keeps working for a half year / year I'm really happy. If it continuous working after I bought the Desktop I can avoid buying a Macbook even longer.

What do you think about dual boot? In my mind the possibility to adjust some settings for better performance seems to be a good idea in my mind.Especially if the OS has no access to the Internet. I would like to turn of almost anything on that OS so the DJ software has all the power and some backup for new updates of the Software and the new features. I tried to find a allround solution in adjusting windows but real time audio processing and gaming are just to different in their needs I think.

Again I hope I didn't make too many mistakes and you guys are able to understand what I'm trying to say.

Let me know what you think about my ideas. Additionally can you tell me why this new version isn't suitable for my Hardware? A link to some sort of blog or something like that or some keywords so I can use google would help me a lot. I want to understand what happened. Maybe I can prevent my PC from something like this the next time then...

best regards and in case you read this today: Have a nice Sunday!

Patrick

• 6. Re: HP Envy 15 j013sg general performance Issue
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Schmelli

Thank you for your response. 

As you were saying, performing a clean install of the operating system can remove older drivers/software thay may be causing system conflicts. In this case, it is recommended to get the recovery media provided by your system manufacturer to return it to the original configuration. You may need to contact HP to get more information about this. 
                    https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/bph07143

Regarding your question about dual boot, you need to contact your system manufacturer's support communities, or follow the recommendations provided by other users that have sucessfully implemented dual boot on HP laptops. Keep in mind that it may require performing specific steps on your computer that we cannot advise you about. 

Now, an updated Intel® graphics driver is not required on legacy platforms (e.g. 5th Generation and older) for the new Microsoft Windows 10® April update (2018). The existing Windows 10® graphics drivers will continue to work with the April update, but new issues may be caused by the Windows 10 April update on legacy platforms. Our recommendation is to revert back to the previous Windows 10 version. For the best experience with the latest features introduced with the update, we suggest upgrading the platform with a minimum of 6th Generation processors or better. This is relevant because you use your laptop for gaming and music production.

I hope you find this information helpful. 

Wanner G.