7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 7:39 PM by KingGeorgeWang

Windows 10 program showing a white window

KingGeorgeWang

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When I open some programs they are showing a white window without showing any content in it.

For example, when I open Blizzard.exe, the main window is shown in white, and no button or text is displayed (Fig.1) . However, there DOES exist the buttons, links that can be clicked, and also the setting window and friend list window can be opened (Fig. 2 and 3). This problem ALWAYS happen in Blizzard.exe.

Same condition happens in the settting window of Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Fig.4). The link in the window can be clicked, too.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):    Always

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: OptiPlex 3020

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

(An iPad is used as a second monitor and Duet Display is used, but it's closed when the problem occurs. Official link Duet Display - Ex-Apple Engineers Turn Your iPad Into An Extra Display )

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8192MB RAM

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Not clear

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

视频 BIOS:1025.14

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

version 20.19.15.4835

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Not clear

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1600*900, 60p Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Notes: 1. The DispDiag step cannot be implemented. The system crashed if the command is executed;

2. Some of the characters in the attached files is Chinese (since I use Chinese version of system). Hope it may not make too much difficulties to you.

baiping.png

Fig1. the main window of Blizzard.exe

shezhikeyidakai.png

Fig2. The Setting window of Blizzard.exe can be displayed correctly

duihuakeyidakai.png

Fig3. The friend list window is shown correctly.

intel-setting.png

Fig4. The setting window of Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

• 1. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello KingGeorgeWang

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having display problems, allow me to help you with the inquiries. 

After looking into your report I notice that you could perform a graphics driver update, I would recommend completing a clean installation of the driver on your system.

First, you will have download the Intel® HD graphics 4600 driver version on the following link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip, once the driver is downloaded please make sure that the system is not connected to the internet during the uninstall/install of the driver to avoid any automatic update, and follow these steps to uninstall the graphics drivers:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
          2.  Expand the Display Adapters section.
          3.  Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
          4.  Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
          5.  Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
          6.  Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Once the reboot is completed, please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
          1. Use the .zip file downloaded previously.
          2.  Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
          3. Right-click on the Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
          4.  Click “Yes” when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
          5.  Expand the Display adapters section.
          6.  Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
          7.  Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
          8.  Click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
          9.  Click “Have Disk”.
          10.  Click “Browse”.
          11.  Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called “Graphics”.
          12.  Select the file called “igdlh64” or “igdlh”.
          13.  Click Open, then click OK, and finally click “Next”. Drivers are now being installed.
          14.  Reboot your computer.

Hope this help.

Regards,
          Leonardo C.
          • 2. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
            KingGeorgeWang

Hi, Leonardo!

Thanks for your detailed reply! I followed your instructions step by step but sadly my problem is still exists. I rerun the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) and DxDiag (the DispDiag step always cause the crash of my computer), and the output files are attached. I'd very grateful if you can help me with this, and I'm looking forward to your early reply!

Sincerely,

George

• 3. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
              Intel Corporation

Hello KingGeorgeWang

Thank you for your response.

Could you test the graphics diver provided by dell on your system?
              Download link:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=Y9JM5

You may have to uninstall the current graphics on your system, for that you can use the steps provided previously.

Could you please let me know the game that is presenting this problem?

Best Regards,
              Leonardo C.

• 4. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
                KingGeorgeWang

Hi, Leonardo!

Thanks for your reply! I've installed the driver you provided (problem still exists), and the reports of Intel SSU (System Support Utility) and DxDiag are attached here.

This problem happens in Blizzard.exe and Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, the screenshots of which are shown in the original post. This problem also happened in Microsoft VisualStudio.exe before, but I solved it by turning off hardware graphics acceleration in the program ([Tools | Options | Environment | General | Use hardware graphics acceleration if available]). However it is ineffective when I turned off hardware acceleration in Blizzard.exe ([Settings | General | Use browser hardware acceleration when available]).

In addition, the Hearthstone.exe also crashed (with log files created) before I posted this problem, but now it runs normally after I installed the driver you provided. I don't know why this happens but I think this may help find out the problem, so I attached the original error.log, crash.dmp and output_log.txt here (I had sent it to Blizzard official website but sadly no one replied...). Hope these information can help a little. Thank you for your efforts!

Sincerely,

George

• 5. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
                  Intel Corporation

Hello KingGeorgeWang

Thank you for your response.

I would like to verify with you if you have tested reinstalling the applications that have the issue for testing purposes.

Best Regards,
                  Leonardo C.

• 6. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
                    Intel Corporation

Hello KingGeorgeWang

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help.  If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,
                    Leonardo C.

• 7. Re: Windows 10 program showing a white window
                      KingGeorgeWang

Hello, Leonardo!

I'm so sorry for forgetting to reply to your message. I have tried your method then, but it still did not solve my problem. Since it does not interfere with my work (only prevent me from playing Hearthstone ), I think maybe I should not waste my time on it, so I give up with my attempt.

Anyway, I'm sorry for letting you waiting for so long time, and thanks again for your great effort!

Sincerely,

George