1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2018 6:54 AM by pureallurephoto

i7-8550U throttling while gaming CPU 0.4 GHz

pureallurephoto

I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 15" Platinum which contains an i7-8550U processor and NVIDIA GTX1050 4GB GPU.   The unit is less than 1 month old but has had a severe throttling issues since the day I first turned it on.  When playing either of the two games I own, Battlefield 1 or Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, withing seconds of playing the game the CPU throttles to 0.4 GHz or slightly less.  Gameplay becomes impossible and FPS drops to single digits.  The GPU is not maxing out.  Neither the CPU or GPU are overheating.  I have contacted Lenovo who cannot provide an answer.  I am seeing other people with Dell laptops using the same configuration having the same issue.  The Lenovo Yoga 720 is nearly identical but uses an i7-7700HQ and NVIDIA GTX1050 2GB configuration without issue. I have reinstalled Windows 10 Home, updated all drivers and checked for consumptive processes (none found).  This appears to be caused by some sort of improper coding within the 8550U processor.   Is there a BIOS update or some setting that could be changed to prohibit this from happening. 

1 2 Previous Next