1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 10:44 PM by Orang

How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?

Orang

When I start up my Dell computer I get a message from IDSA saying I have 3 updates to install.  When I click on the message IDSA opens and tells me a newer version of IDSA is required and that I must upgrade to the latest version to continue (see Attachment), and I understand that I must uninstall my existing version of IDSA in order to download and install the current release.  Unfortunately I am unable to do this. When I go to the list of Programs in the Windows 10 Control Panel IDSA is not a listed program. But when I look in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder I can see a folder called Intel Driver and Support Assistant that appears to contain all the all the files supporting IDSA. However for some reason it does not appear in the Programs list. When I click Start/Intel and right click on Driver & Support Assistant/Uninstall, I am taken to the Control Panel listing of Programs but as indicated above, IDSA is not on that list.  So ... back to square 1.

The files in the C:\Program files (x86)\Intel Driver and Support Assistant folder include one called DSA Service.exe and out of curiosity I clicked on it.  I was taken to a command line window with the following message "Windows Service Start Failure - Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger.  A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe). and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command".  Interestingly the C:\Program Files (without the x86) folder also contains a folder called Intel Driver and Support Assistant but it has nothing in it.

I looked for solutions to this problem across the internet including this forum, but all related strings that I found terminate unresolved with no solution. The IDSA program is clearly still on my machine because I can see it and its constituent files in the Program files (x86) folder, and according to Intel I must uninstall it before I can install the new version.  So if Intel or anyone else has any idea how I can make it reappear in the Programs list or otherwise uninstall it I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Several months ago I asked for advice on the same problem on this forum and was advised to uninstall IDSA through the Win 10 Control Panel utility and download/install the new IDSA version, and I did that and it worked ... then. So at that time anyway IDSA did appear on the Programs list. But now, for some reason it now longer does so I am unable to follow this earlier advice.

• 1. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Orang

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having issues to complete the update of the Intel® DSA, allow me to help you with this investigation.

Looking into the information provided on your post, since you are not able to find the Intel® DSA on the control panel I would recommend installing the new version of Intel® DSA on your system, once the installation is completed you could uninstall the software and complete a clean installation on your system

Hope this help.

Regards,
          Leonardo C.

• 2. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
            Orang

Thanks for your suggestion Leonardo C., but I've tried this several times and it doesn't work.

After downloading version 3.4.1 and commencing installation I get about 3/4 through the installation when it stops and I receive the first message shown on the attachment to this note, which tells me the "feature I am trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable".  When I "X" out of this message I get the second message shown on the attachment to this note, which tells me that "the older version of IDSA could not be removed and to contact my "technical group"".

So it appears that (1) the older version of IDSA must be removed before the new one can be installed, (2) since the Intel Driver and Support Assistant folder in C:\Program Files is empty, I assume the second message telling me the older version could not be removed is referring to the files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel Driver and Support Assistant folder.  However, although this folder appears to be fully populated with IDSA program files and information, as I explained in my first note it does not appear on the list of programs available for uninstallation through the Control Panel.

Since the new version of IDSA cannot be downloaded without uninstalling the old one do you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?

If you using , windows 10 means , you can do uninstall from ,  settings--apps--see right side ,  intel driver& support assistant will be there.

if you not able to asee means ,  download  microsoft install& uninstall diagnostic.cab tool my attachment .

after downladed , temporarily disable antivirus and  run as administrator , follow onscreen instructions

I hope with reply , your uninstall problem will be solve

• 4. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                N.Scott.Pearson

I have deleted your attachments. Do not send attachments providing binaries like this. They cannot be trusted under any circumstances. If you want to point folks to such a program, provide them with link that will take them to the download page on the Microsoft site.

...S

• 5. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                  Orang

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this didn't work either. After responding to the question as to whether I am having a problem installing or uninstalling (and choosing the latter) I was presented with a list of potentially uninstallable programs, but IDSA was not one of them so I had to select "Not Listed".  I was then asked for the product code of the program I wish to uninstall but I do not know how/where to find this code, or even if one exists for this type of utility.

• 6. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Orang

Thank you for your response.

Could you go to C:\ProgramData\Intel and create a .zip file of the DSA folder and attach the file to the thread? You may have to select the option to view hidden files on the system.

Once you have created the .zip  of the folder please delete the DSA folder and try to complete the installation.

Regards,
                    Leonardo C.

• 7. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                      Orang

Thanks again Leonardo C., but this did not work either.  After creating the .zip file (attached) I tried to delete the DSA folder but received the following message: "Folder in Use.  The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.  Close the folder and try again.  DSA  Created 2017-12-07"

I did not open the DSA folder so I don''t know why I got this message. I restarted the computer, located the DSA file in File Explorer and tried again to delete it but received the same message.  Should I try deleting it from Safe Mode?

• 8. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Orang

Yes, please test safe mode to complete the delete and install of DSA, let me know the outcome.

Also, provide me with the following info:

1. which OS is being used?
                        2. which browser(s) the user has tried?
                        3. do you have any proxy settings?
                        4. what security software are you using
                        5. do you have any browser plug-ins installed

Regards,
                        Leonardo C.

• 9. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                          Orang

Hello again Leonardo C.

I successfully deleted the DSA folder from Safe Mode and tried to install IDSA again, but the installation terminated before completion with the same experience and messages reported in my first note.  I did notice though, that even though the installation did not complete the DSA folder was restored - but with only two files (Service.log, and Tray.log) in it.

To respond to your questions:

1. Windows 10 (version 1709, build 16299.579)

2. Firefox 61.0.1 (64 bit)

3. No proxy settings

4. Norton Internet Security

5. Firefox plug-ins - OpenH264 Video Codec (Cisco); Widevine content decryption module; Shockwave Flash (ask to activate basis).  I also have Firefox extension Privacy Badger although it is not currently switched on.  I also noticed a number of other Firefox extensions that I did not install but that may have come packaged with Firefox, although none of them are switched on either.  I do not know what they do. These are Abstract Colorful Owl by candelora; Forget me not by Lusito; Enhancer for YouTube by Maxine RF; Strands of Gold by Madonna; Emoji Cheatsheet by Johann Hofmann; Phoenix in the Clouds by a205260

I did also try installing IDSA from Internet Explorer and MIcrosoft Edge after having the problems in Firefox (my regular browser), but ran into the same problems.  I have never installed plug-ins for either of these two other browsers.

• 10. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                            Orang

Leonardo C.

An addendum to my last response.  I also use Malwarebytes Premium security software on this computer

• 11. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Orang

I will like to verify that you have deleted and uninstall DSA on safe mode then reboot the system to install DSA?

Also, I would like to verify if you have run the installation by using right click run as administrator with the .exe file?   

Regards,
                              Leonardo C.

• 12. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                                WER

Leonardo,

I have the exact same problem.  I have performed all the steps you indicated and the problem persists.  This is super frustrating, especially given that I get notices that I have updates and then am prompted to install IDSA v. 3.5, and get the same error message every time. 

• 13. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                                  WER

I do NOT recommend this fix, and CERTAINLY NOT WITHOUT BACKING UP YOUR REGISTRY, but here's how I got the new version of IDSA to install.  I opened regedit and did a search for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" and deleted every highlighted entry in the left hand pane when I got a hit in the right hand pane.  Then, when that didn't work, I searched for "Intel(R) Computing Improvement Program" and did the same thing.  Bingo, IDSA v3.5 installed.  Good luck!

(Now I'm trying to solve the dreaded "Intel Driver & Support Assistant is being blocked" error, but one step at a time.  I can't thank Intel enough for this productive and enjoyable computing experience.)

• 14. Re: How do I uninstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant?
                                    Al Hill

WER, please confirm if your solution to the blocked condition is solved by removing the McAfee web extension.

Doc

1 2 Previous Next