10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2018 3:04 AM by CamL

How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE

CamL

Hi,

My name is Cameron. I have been playing Skyrim Special Edition for a couple of years now and a reoccurring issue I've had is when I plug a monitor into my laptop via HDMI, the video will play, put there won't be any audio. I have found a temporary work around by setting my laptop speakers as the default audio device and have the audio play through my laptop (this also works with speakers connected connected via aux or bluetooth if set to the default audio device). This however is very inconvenient. I had put off finding a solution to this problem as I was previously using a laptop that I was planning to upgrade from, but the problem consists with my new laptop as well. The problem occurs whether I install mods to the game or not. When doing some research, many were saying this was a intel/windows 10 issue. Please help.

Attached is a scan of my current laptops specs.

• 1. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello CamL,

I understand that you are currently experiencing problems with the audio through HDMI connection.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, I would like to know if you have tried different monitors or perhaps a TV, this is important to know if it is a problem caused by the display or the unit itself. You also mentioned that you have installed mods and also without mods the issue appears, correct? 

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
            CamL

Hi David,

Here is the information about my computer as requested.

To answer your questions, primarily I have been trying to use many different TV's. The same problem persists with any TV or monitor I use, and the same workarounds work (using a separate device/system for audio).

Additionally, you are correct. I have mods installed, but when I got my new laptop, I tested Skyrim 100% Vanilla and got the same results.

Much thanks,

CamL

• 3. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
              CamL

To elaborate, this issue doesn't arise when I stream video or play other games. In fact the audio works for the opening when the Bethesda logo appears, but from that point on, the audio doesn't play through the HDMI. I first thought this was an issue with the game, but, as I said, when I looked into the issue on online forums, only some were having the issue and it was theorized to have to do with Intel/Windows 10.

• 4. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                Intel Corporation

Hello CamL,

Thank you for your response.

Have you been able to start a new game instead of continuing from where you left off? I was double-checking information and I found that some HDMI audio issues have been encountered with corrupted save files. If possible, please start a new game and see if the audio problem persists. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                David V

• 5. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                  CamL

Hi David,

I have tried creating a new game both with and without mods. Both attempts were met by the same issue as before, no audio (after the logo) playing through the device(s) connected via HDMI.

Anything else I should try?

Much thanks,

CamL

• 6. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                    Intel Corporation

Hello CamL,

Thank you for your response.

I was checking the information and I would like two try two things. The first thing that I can think of, is to check or verify the integrity of the files by right-clicking on the game, going to properties and from there, verify the files. If this does not help, I would like you to try and re-download the game. Being completely honest, this does not seem like an HDMI* or driver issue. 

Let me know the outcome please. 

Regards,
                    David V

• 7. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                      CamL

Hi David,

I have tried redownloading the game and still experience the same problem sadly.

I will continuing searching for a solution. Thank you for all your time and help. If there is any recommendation you may have in where to look next, please let me know.

Much thanks,

CamL

• 8. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                        Intel Corporation

Hello CamL,

Thank you for you response.

Something else we can try is re-install the "Intel(R) Display Audio" from device manager. In order to do this, please look for that under device manager, once found, please right-click on it and select the option "Uninstall".

Once the uninstall is complete, wait around 1 minute and then refresh the device manager, once refreshed it should show it again and once it is back, reboot the computer and then try with the game once more.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                        David V

• 9. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                          Intel Corporation

Hello CamL,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Have you tried to re-install the Intel ® Display Audio? 

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                          David V

• 10. Re: How to get audio to go through HDMI for Skyrim SE
                            CamL

Hi David,

I found that adjusting the settings to launch the game in a boarder-less window instead of the default settings seems to have fully fixed my problem. This reaffirms my growing thoughts that this issue had less to do with my software and more to do with a bug some encounter with the game.

I thank you for following up and for all your time and effort.

Sincerely,

CamL