1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 7:21 PM by cvare

NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware

pmole

Hi I've been using Win10 with the Nuc (nuc6cays) for a couple years now but like others I'm having trouble getting my new Samsung HDTV (49" QN49Q6F) to recognize it through the HDMI port.  I have searched through the forums and gotten some help and tried a few things, but I'm having trouble with upgrading my NUC.  I've successfully flashed the bios with AYAPLCEL.86A.0049.EB but I'm confused about the HDMI firmware upgrade "NUC6CAY-NUC7ixBN-HDMI-Update-1.72".  I found this reference in an old post as a possible fix to the HDMI problem, but I'm a little confused on how to work the "Bobcat Aux ISP Tool" software.   It seems I'm using this program to run the files found in the "bin" folder, but no matter what file I run, it fails.   First all, is this firmware update still relevant?  When it comes to flashing bios and firmware/driver updates I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke don't fix it.  If anyone can advise me on which updates to apply to fix this problem please let me know.   I was able to find a tutorial on how to install the HDMI firmware, but it said nothing about how to use Bobcat and I don' know what "FW" refers to.   The other possible problem is that the tutorial says I must be hooked up to an HDMI 2.0 compliant device which is impossible in terms of the Samsung as hooking up is the problem.  I did run bobcat while hooked up to a different HDMI monitor, but I was unable to be certain if this was HDMI compliant.

Beyond that I've confirmed the HDMI cable is fine and that HDMI works fine with the HDTV using a different PC.    I spend two or three hours trying to get the HDMI to work including returning and getting the same TV thinking the problem might be with the "ONE CONNECT" box that comes with the TV.    This box attaches to the TV with it's own priority cable.  At one point, the one connect box feel 2 feet to the floor, then when I picked it up, the HDMI port was recognized, but only for as long as the TV was on.  After that it went back to being unable to detect the PC, although it's clear the HDTV knew something was connected to the HDMI port.   Hot swapping didn't work and I've tried all 4 HDMI ports available on the TV.   I don't get a blank screen or a boot screen or anything.  Just the Samsung screen showing it failed to establish a connection.

I realize there are other posts on this topic which I am still exploring. 

• 1. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello pmole,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the connection of the NUC to the TV via HDMI. 

Regarding this, I would like to begin by asking for an Intel ® System Support Utility report, this report can be generated with our tool which you can download from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

Make sure to attach the reports to this thread. Something else I would like to ask is if you have tried different TVs or monitors to see if they work properly so as to isolate the problem and makes sure if it is only that specific Samsung* TV. Are you able to connect the HDMI cable to the TV directly instead of the One Connect* box? If so, please try it and let me know the outcome of this.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
            pmole

Before we get into all that, could you simply confirm if "NUC6CAY-NUC7ixBN-HDMI-Update-1.72" is a proper update for the 6cays and tell me how to install it?  I've already spend several hours trying to solve this issue and I'm about ready to throw the NUC away and just buy another non-intel PC.   Old forum posts indicate this is a common issue with the NUC and likely not related my personal settings.

• 3. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, it is the correct update for the NUC6CAYS, NUC6CAYH, NUC7i#BNH and NUC7i#BNK. You did read the part where your 4K monitor/TV needs to be connected to the HDMI output while you install the update, right?

...S

• 4. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                pmole

"You did read the part where your 4K monitor/TV needs to be connected to the HDMI output while you install the update, right?"

Scott,

Thanks for your response.   Yes, I referred to that in my OP.  The problem is if I could connect the NUC to the HDMI 2.0 complaint HDTV, I wouldn't care about updating the HDMI in the first place.   I have tried hot swapping the cable from a working monitor to the Samsung, but no luck.   One thing I could try is to have the mouse precisely placed such that I could run the update without having to actually see the screen.  Then I could hotswap knowing I'll have no picture, but still be able to run the update.  However, I don't know if this would count as "connected to HDMI 2.0 device" and even if it did, the software used (bobcat) is not so straight forward.  Running the program (bobcat) seems to create some sort of data file, but there's also the option to run one of the three individual files found in the bin folder and there are two ways to do that.   I can't do that in the dark.  Perhaps with some sort of command line parameter using dos.   And so this is why I've started a post on how to run the firmware.

EDIT:  Also, I can confirm that when I did run bobcat, I was connect to a monitor via HDMI, but it was too old to be HDMI 2.0 so it's understandable why the upgrade didn't work.

David,

That you for your help.   I'll try to get the information you require, but the NUC does not currently have an internet connection, nor is it part of my wifi network.  I will need to use a flash drive to collect and return the information.   I'll try to get that done and get back to you, but I will still have my question regarding how to use bobcat.

Also, the ONLY way to connect HDMI to the Samsung TV is by using the ONE CONNECT box.

• 5. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Do you not have an older monitor or TV that you can connect via the NUC6CAYS' VGA connector to (at least temporarily) use as your Windows display until you have the update installed? This is what I did.

...S

• 6. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                    pmole

Scott,

I have tried the NUC on two different HDTVs and a monitor and it works fine.  For the HDTVs I used HDMI to connect, but it was not 2.0 HMDI.  The new Samsung supports HDMI 2.0 and for this HDTV, the nuc will not connect.

• 7. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                      pmole

David,

I have attached the files you requested.  Thank you for your help.

Edit: Data for these files was collected with the NUC connected to a HDTV via HDMI, but not using HDMI 2.0.

• 8. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                        N.Scott.Pearson

You have nothing you can connect to the VGA connector? Have you checked *all* of your TVs for a VGA connector?

• 9. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                          pmole

Scott,

I don't understand the point in seeking out or using a VGA connection.  Please explain.

• 10. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                            N.Scott.Pearson

It's simple...

• You need to have the 4K TV connected to the HDMI connector while you apply F/W update.
                            • The 4K TV will not work until this update is applied.
                            • You need another monitor connected so that you can use it to log into Windows and apply the F/W update.
                            • Unless you upgraded to Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Enterprise, you cannot use a remote monitor (i.e. use the Remote Desktop Connection tool from another Windows-based PC).
                            • What method is left to hook up another monitor? The VGA connector.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                              pmole

Okay, so you're suggesting I run the NUC hooked up with two monitors, one VGA, and the other the Samsung HDMI 2.0.    That sounds like a good idea, but I'll need a little time to check and get back to you. 

In the meantime, running the bobcat software it's unclear to me what's happening.  Just by running BobcatAuxISPTool, is the patch/firmware being applied?  There seems to be more to it.  Under ISP File Setup there's a browse function for "Driver File" and another browse function for  "FW File".   When browsing, they start in the "bin" folder that was unzipped along with bobcat.    Bin folder contains the following:

BobcatIsp_v1.02_cut2.2_aux_SA_signed

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_AY

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_BN

Each of these three files can be selected and run, but I'm not sure which one if any is appropriate and I'm not sure if I should be running them under the "Driver File" path or the "FW file" palth. 

• 12. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                                pmole

Scott/David,

I was able to connect the NUC via VGA to a monitor while also connecting it to the HDMI port of the troublesome Samsung HDTV.  As expected, the Samsung did not detect, but the VGA monitor did.   I did NOT attempt to put the Win10 settings in dual or clone mode or anything like that.  I assumed it was enough that the HDMI cable was connected to the Samsung.

I ran the bobcat firmware software and then ran each of the three above mentioned files found in the bin folder as described above.   Running all three under Driver and all three under FW, they all failed just as before.    Shutting down the NUC and restarting it made no difference.

Below I have cut&pasted the entire output from the "BobcatAuxISPTool" file created and updated by bobcat.   During this last attempt I unzipped the update file to a new location and ran it from there so all data you see below is only from this session.

Gfx Selection = 0

Graphics adapter initialization - NVIDIA: failed! (-2)

Graphics adapter initialization - AMD: Loading DLL failed!

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel (LS-PCON): done!

Device ID: 0x0C = N/A (0x25)

Device ID: 0x0D = OK

====================================

07/25/18 13:22:24

Current Firmware Version: Bobcat App: MC2800 v1.60  (cut2.2)

System Reset ...Not available!

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:30

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:36

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:42

Load ISP driver failed!

ISP failed! (2)

ISP failed! (2)

07/25/18 13:22:59

Current Firmware Version: MC2800 v1.60  (HWver=0x22)

ISP initialization failed!

ISP failed! (1)

ISP failed! (1)

07/25/18 13:23:08

Current Firmware Version: MC2800 v1.60  (HWver=0x22)

ISP initialization failed!

ISP failed! (1)

ISP failed! (1)

------------------------------------

Gfx Selection = 0

Graphics adapter initialization - NVIDIA: failed! (-2)

Graphics adapter initialization - AMD: Loading DLL failed!

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel (LS-PCON): done!

Device ID: 0x0C = N/A (0x25)

Device ID: 0x0D = N/A (0xF)

Device ID: 0x0E = N/A (0xF)

Device ID: 0x0F = N/A (0x25)

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel: done!

Device GUID: 0x100 [AUX] = OK

• 13. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                                  pmole

Scott,

There's a similar active thread in this same forum:

NUC6CAYH no hdmi after fail 1.72 firmwire update...

On this thread, Intel Tech, "Wanner G." is instructing that OP how to install the same HDMI firmware with the instructions:

"-There can only be one video device plugged into the HDMI port and it must be an HDMI 2.0 device."

While it sounded like a good idea to me, it now seems that having the NUC output to monitor via VGA (so I can see it) while also having it output to my Samsung via HDMI would not be a good solution because only ONE video device may be plugged in.  Unless of course this was just a precaution by Wanner G.  Either way, I'm not sure how I can plug into a 2.0 HDMI video device and run the software when my problem is I can't see anything using the HDMI 2.0 compliant device (Samsung).

Again, I could hot swap with my mouse right on the file to execute, then hook it up to the Samsung and click/run bobcast  in-the-dark, so to speak, but again the problem is the way the software runs requiring you to browse for a bin file.

• 14. Re: NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware
                                    pmole

David,

Other things I've tried, but with no change in results:

Updated the firmware of my Samsung HDTV to newest available

Booting NUC in safe mode (via msconfig) with HDMI connected to Samsung

Samsung TV has special External Device settings

I have tried turning Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) both ON and OFF (default is ON).

There is also a HDMI UHD Color mode which I have tried both on and off to no avail

As a reference, here is a link to my Samsung 49" HDTV's manual:

2017 QLED TV (Q6F Series) | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

Whenever I have done anything with the NUC trouble solving this issue, I have done it logged in as administrator

I have tried different HDMI cables.  The one I'm using now was purchased in 2012 from Amazon.  My old order says this is a high speed HDMI cable, but it's not printed on the cable.  Even so, I have ordered a new High Speed HDMI cable which I will get by this Friday.

Is there a way to identify what version of HDMI my NUC current has?  How do I know if my NUC supports HDMI 2.0?  I couldn't find anything in dxdiag.

1 2 Previous Next