2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 5:55 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel i7-6700hq Temperature Fluctuations?

N3farious

Hi guys, I have had an Asus ROG STRIX Gl502VY for about 2 years now and never had a problem with it until about a few weeks ago where I would begin to see my cpu's temperatures fluctuating wildly. For some background information, the specs are:

i7-6700hq

gtx 980m 4gb

16gb ram

When I restart my laptop for example, and I monitor the temperatures (using HWmonitor) when it first loads in, I see my temperatures go from 38 - 45 - 58 - 77, and then it goes right back down to 45 in a second (the temperatures are in celsius). This also happens when opening applications like steam or chrome, but right when it finishes loading the temperatures drop back down to the 40s. I have already replaced the heatsink and thermal paste, but the temperatures are basically the exact same! My brother has the exact same laptop model and he has barely any fluctuation in temperature. My highest temperature when playing the game Divinity: The Original Sin 2 is 92 degrees, but that was also a temperature spike as the game runs mostly at around 80-85 degrees. Anybody have any idea why this is happening? Should I be worried?

And just to note, I have already tried undervolting and resetting windows 10 as well and nothing has changed.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Intel i7-6700hq Temperature Fluctuations?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello N3farious,

I understand that you are concerned of the thermal spikes and the fluctuation of the temperature.

Regarding this, I would like to begin by recommending you to run a diagnostic with our Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool which can check the processor and see if there is any problem with the temperature or the processor itself, you can get the tool by accessing the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Also, I would like to mention that something recommended is to check with the system manufacturer for BIOS updates. These updates can help with problems like these and it could be a possibility that the BIOS of your system is not up-to-date. 

Finally, I would like to mention that the processor has a Tjunction of 100C, this means that the processor will not be closing applications or having a thermal throttle until it reaches the 100C. However, regarding the fluctuation, it depends as well as the applications opened or else the applications running in the background, all of these factors can contribute in the difference of fluctuations. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: Intel i7-6700hq Temperature Fluctuations?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello N3farious,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to run the diagnostics? Were you able to update the BIOS version of the system? 

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
            David V