8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 8:02 AM by cgwaters

iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds

cgwaters

My PC is a Dell Studio XPS435mt. The primary drive is an SSD; the second drive is an HDD. The PC ran Windows 7 ... and then Windows 10 (up to 1709) ... very well. Since installing the Windows 10 1803 update, every four seconds the PC makes a buzzing/stuttering sound whenever audio is playing ... and the mouse cursor pauses if it's being moved. I formatted my SSD and installed a fresh copy of 1803 but the problem is still present -- so it's not an issue with upgrading from 1709 to 1803; it's a problem with something in 1803.

LatencyMon identified storport.sys ("Microsoft Storage Port Driver") as having a very high execution time—every four seconds. After much time/research and much help from Windows 10 experts (see my thread at Windows 10 Help Forums) and UIforETW, it was determined that 1803 uses iaStorAVC.sys ("Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" -- v15.44.0.1010) to interface with storport.sys ... and 1709 uses iaStorAV.sys ("Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" -- v13.44.0.1026) to interface with storport.sys. The conclusion of the matter is that when 1803 / iaStorAVC.sys is running, the latency issue occurs ... and that when 1709 / iaStorAV.sys is running, the latency issue does not occur.

In 1803 Device Manager there is no other applicable SATA driver for me to select. With the help of the above thread, I used Device Manager to replace “Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" (iaStorAVC.sys) with 1709's “Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller” (iaStorAV.sys). The issue went away! (“Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller” is not digitally signed; to install it, I had to temporarily disable Windows 10 driver signature enforcement. This is obviously not a satisfactory solution; worse, I figure Windows will try to update/replace the driver at some point ... and then the issue will re-appear.)

How can I make Intel aware of this so as to have 1803's iaStorAVC.sys fixed/updated? Please let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post this. Thanks!

• 1. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello cgwaters,

I understand that you were experiencing freezing/stuttering issues every 4 seconds.

Regarding this, and to best find a possible solution, please provide me with an Intel ® System Support Utility report. This report can be generated with our tool, which can be downloaded by accessing the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the report to this thread, also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Once I have all this information I can proceed to see if there is any update we can try and/or step to fix the problem.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
            cgwaters

Thanks for the message. I've attached the Intel System Support Utility text file and the DxDiag text file. I've also attached a message that appeared when I ran DxDiag; I selected Yes.

• 3. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
              Intel Corporation

Hello cgwaters,

Thank you for your response.

I am analyzing the information provided. In the meantime however, I was researching about the current error and I was able to find a thread regarding this with a solution suggested. I would like you to have a look and see if it works for you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/random-freezes-after-win-10-64bit-1803-reset-to/8e76d7ec-fc53-4cc4-a133-a871fa4e86b3

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

I hope this helps. If not, please let me know.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
                cgwaters

Thanks for making me aware of the answers.microsoft.com thread, the subject of which is *very* similar to my issue. To summarize that thread:

• User "tfcagain" is experiencing intermittent freezes that last for various lengths. (My freezes occur all of the time, *every* four seconds.) Like me, he noticed the problem to be with 1803's "Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" driver (IAStorAVC.sys). Like me, he contemplated replacing it with 1709's unsigned "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" driver (iaStorAV.sys). (As a reminder: My doing that resolved the problem.)
                • User "auggy" recommended installing "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver" version: 14.8.16.1063 (4/16/2017). "tfcagain" was reluctant to do that, fearing the issue will return if/when the driver is automatically replaced by Windows Update. Of course, that's a concern with the "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" driver (iaStorAV.sys), too.
                • User "rippetoej" is experiencing BSODs; he blames Intel's RST drivers, saying they are not compatible with 1803. He resolved his problem by replacing "Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" with "Microsoft Standard SATA Controller". "tfcagain" does not see that driver in 1803; neither do I, even after uninstalling the Intel driver.
                • User "Max200b" found that installing the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" resolved the issue.

What do you recommend I do? Perhaps try the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver" recommended by "auggy"? I can do that; however, that (likely unsigned) driver is five months *older* than the "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" driver I installed--which resolved the problem.

• 5. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
                  Intel Corporation

Hello cgwaters,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding this, I was checking and in fact your combination of Operating System and hardware seems to be not compatible, this is because Windows 10 is pretty recent compared to your hardware. I also checked in the manufacturer's website and it does not seem to support anything beyond Windows* 7 for your system.

What I can recommend you to do in this case is to try to install the Operating System that was installed in the system originally. 

I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Regards,
                  David V

• 6. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
                    groszexxx

Srsly? Only what u can say it is something about installing the newest driver? Dont take it offense, but i can teach monkey to say all the time short phrase about updating drivers. If u would read topic from tenforum - then u will get to know the old driver is working well, but havent digital sign. The only way which i know is Disable Signed Driver. In previus version windows was aviable signing driver, but in newest 10 for me it is impossible. 

So can i ask what have You do? Have you do anything at all or just have U wrote - it can not be done? Are U talking about compability, but with disable signed driver all is works perfectly.

• 7. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Let's be clear: The system on which this is happening, which is based upon a 1st generation Intel Core processor, is NOT SUPPORTED ON WINDOWS 10. For any issues that you have, you are on your own. If the inference is that you want a signed driver generated, this isn't going to happen (what part of "you are on your own" didn't you understand?).

Sorry to state this so cruelly, but this is the reality of the situation. Bitching at Intel Customer Support is not going to help your cause.

...S

• 8. Re: iaStorAVC.sys causing pauses every four seconds
                        cgwaters

Thanks, David and Scott. I hear what you're saying about the version of the i7 in my system not being supported on Windows 10 ... but I don't have to like it. 

Bottom line: Windows 10 worked flawlessly on this system up to 1709. Intel apparently changed something in the 1803 driver which resulted in this issue. Replacing the 1803 driver with the 1709 driver resolves the issue. Regarding the 1803 driver, I suppose Intel would simply say "That's Progress!" 

So it looks like I'll just have to keep using the unsigned 1709 driver ... and hope it continues to work after future Windows updates. If/when it no longer works on this otherwise well-functioning system, I'll either go back to an earlier version of Windows or replace the PC. Or (gasp!) upgrade to a Mac and run Windows 10 in VMWare Fusion.