3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2018 9:52 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

How can one get into their bios if there's no prompts?

User-1

Hello all,

I was messing with my bios setup, the first time, and now I don't have F2, F7, F9....... F something.  Anyways I try to get into my bios after changing some setting and now I don't have any prompts.  I even start the computer and press F2 the whole time and nothing.  It takes me to windows.

How does one get back into the bios settings?  Reset everything?

Thanks for your help and much appreciated!

• 1. Re: How can one get into their bios if there's no prompts?
          N.Scott.Pearson

There are two methods to get into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS), where you can fix the bad settings,

1. In Windows, it is possible to select to reboot into BIOS Do do so, do the following:
            1. In Settings, select Update & Security.
            2. From the left-hand menu, select Recovery.
            3. Under Advanced Startup, select Restart Now.
            4. Select Troubleshoot.
            5. Select Advanced Options.
            6. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
            7. Select Restart.
          2. From the powered-off state, do the following:
            1. Power on, but this time hold the power button down for 3 seconds.
            2. Note: If you accidentally hold the power button down for slightly too long (i.e. 4 seconds), the NUC will power itself back off. In this case, just try again.
            3. When the Power Button Menu appears, press F2 to get access to BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).

One additional point: The BIOS' Fast Startup option really does not speed up Windows startup that much. Other optimizations in the BIOS have eliminated most of the advantage to this feature. Considering the side-affects of this feature, I suggest that it is not worth enabling it.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: How can one get into their bios if there's no prompts?
            User-1

Hello Scott,

Was able to follow the steps up to #5. At step 5 I got to Advanced Options, but there was no UEFI Firmware Settings option.  There was 6 options;

System Restore, Go back tp the previous version, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, and Startup Settings. 

I'm running Win 10 Pro on this.  Seems like I should be working on the bios OS, yes?

• 3. Re: How can one get into their bios if there's no prompts?
              N.Scott.Pearson

Ok, this means you might not have installed with UEFI enabled. Move to option #2 (it's really easier anyway)...

...S