9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 5:44 PM by Intel Corporation

RAID - Missing hard drive

36.karthik

Hi,

i have a windows 2003 installed at one of my client location. RAID 1 is configured in that PC by using intel matrix storage manager SOFTWARE. It has 3 slots in the PC and slot 3 acting as main hard drive and slot0 acts as backup drive. I added another hard drive in slot 1, Intel matrix storage detects the hard drive but it is showing in different array volume instead of same array volume. Please see the atatched snapshot. Also i have a message showing missing hard drive.

Why is that ?

is the RAID 1 can be configured for only two hard drive? so slot 1 can act as spare hard drive?

Please see the attachment the status of the RAID? also confirm from the attachment, Is the RAID working between Slot0 and slot3?

• 1. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you get an error message after adding another drive to RAID 1. I would like to assist you with this issue. 

In order to provide a detailed answer about this problem, I would like to get useful information about your RAID setup. Please follow these steps to view a system report on Intel® Matrix Storage and attach it to this thread.

1. Access Intel® Matrix Storage.
          2. Under the View menu, select System Report.
          3.Save it in your computer.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to get more information about your system.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600
          2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
          3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G. 

• 2. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
            36.karthik

hi Warner,

Thanks for your info.

Is the intel system support utility will support windows server 2003 32bit OS system?

I will update the system report later once i got it from my client

Once again thanks for the information.

Regards,

karthik

• 3. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
              Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik, 

Thank you for your response.

In case you are not able to run the Intel® System Support Utility in Windows Server 2003 , please generate a Microsoft System Information report (msinfo32).

Wanner G. 

• 4. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik, 

Were you able to get the system reports?

We will be glad to help you if you still need any assistance. 

Wanner G. 

• 5. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                  36.karthik

Hi Wanner,

Sorry to get back you late.

I havent got the latest system report.

But i can give you the system report from last year.

Also i have attached the Intel RAID status at present for the system running at client site.

Regards,

Karthik

• 6. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                    Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik, 

Thank you for your response. 

I will review these reports in order to assist you with this issue. I will get back to you soon.

Wanner G. 

• 7. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                      Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik

Based on the information provided, it seems that the third hard drive that was added to the system was part of another array. This is most likely why Intel® Matrix Storage manager is unable to recognize it. If the third hard drive was part of another array, then you can try formatting it or use another one. In this way you should be able to add it to the existing array. 

Now, we were trying to replicate this issue, but the interactive technical support for this product you have requested has been discontinued. We recommend you to visit the following community to get recommendations from fellow community members.

Community on Discontinued Products.
                      https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products

I hope you find this information helpful. 

Wanner G. 

• 8. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                        36.karthik

Hi Warner.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand now Port 0 and Port 3 are in same array but the hard drive in port1 are in different array. This could be the reason why the intel storage is not detecting the hard drive

I got a call from our client, one of the hard drives in Port 0 or Port 3 is failed and machine went off completely.  from my understanding PC should be running from the other hard drive when main hard drive failed. Why it needs reboot to start the PC running from other hard drive?

Also my other question this is the second time in 4 or 5 months, hard drives are failing what could be the reason ?

my other question is how to identify the hard drive is belong to the same array or different array?

Regards,

karthik

• 9. Re: RAID - Missing hard drive
                          Intel Corporation

Hello 36.karthik,

I appreciate your response. 

In order to provide more information about these issues, please refer to the following community.

Community on Discontinued Products.
                          https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products

Wanner G.