Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Firmware upgrade for Cisco branded Intel X710-DA4 adapter

JJaná
Beginner

Hi all,

I am trying to make out Cisco branded Intel X710-DA4 quad port 10GBASE SFP+ network adapter to support 1G SFP modules. According to Intel documentation it should by supported starting with 6.01 NVM. The adapter currently has 5.05. I have compiled and installed the newest Intel Linux driver 2.4.10 and I have tried to use nvmupdate64e to upgrade NVM from 5.05 to 6.01. But it fails:

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool

NVMUpdate version 1.30.22.3

Copyright (C) 2013 - 2017 Intel Corporation.

02) Cisco(R) Ethernet Converged NIC X710-DA4 5.05 1572 00:094 Update not available

Tool execution completed with the following status: Device not found

Press any key to exit.

The problem seems to be a Cisco specific NVM version not mentioned in nvmupdate.cfg.

ethtool -i output is:

driver: i40e

version: 2.4.10

firmware-version: 5.05 0x80002b50 0.385.8

expansion-rom-version:

bus-info: 0000:5e:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Is it possible to use one of the NVM image files included with Intel's nmvupdate with this card or not? I have also checked Cisco's firmware files, but their newest version is the one we currently have in the card (and which does not support 1G SFPs, only 10G and special 10G/1G dual speed ones).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JaroslavJ,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. For a Cisco OEM X710 adapter we do not recommend using NVM update from Intel to update to version 6.0.1. Please contact Cisco support; they may provide you with a release date for their NVM update to version 6.X. Please let us know if they resolve this issue, or you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JaroslavJ,

Checking if you were able to contact Cisco about the Cisco OEM X710 adapter. Please let us know if they were able to give you any information. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JJaná
Beginner

Hello,

we have received a firmware upgrade from Cisco, it is not based on 6.01 firmware yet, just a newer version based on 5.05 and now it works with dual rate (10/1 G) transceivers we have (which the original version did not).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JaroslavJ,

Thank you for the follow up. Glad to see it worked out. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos